On January 28th 2018, my life changed forever. I now live with a body in which I have no control over half of it; both in movement and my internal functions.
I fell 8m down an embankment empaling myself on a tree. By all reports, it was a miracle I survived. As a result of the fall I severed my spinal cord, broke 7 ribs, and punctured a lung. I was flown by helicopter for lifesaving surgery, and to provide me the best possible quality of life.
The injuries to my spinal cord left me a T8 Complete Paraplegic. The Doctor's prognosis' to date: You'll never walk, have control, or feeling below the site of injury again.
This is my fight.
To date, I've conquered every challenge thrown at me by my physiotherapists and OTs. Due to the extent of injuries these challenges are to gain as much independence as possible. Unfortunately, the focus is not on helping me walk again; this is something I must pursue outside of hospital.
I'm currently looking to raise money to help me in gaining my independence as well as pursue my dream of walking again and defying all odds. This includes:
- Purchasing of a car and modifications required to allow me to travel to and from follow up appointments as well as work
- The future use of IVF to help me in being able to have a family
- Powered mobility equipment attachments for my wheelchair to help protect my shoulders from deterioration; something required in maintaining independence
- Upgrades on my wheelchair setup - this will reduce weight and allow me to enjoy activities I loved before the accident
- Purchase of a Wheelchair Basketball chair
- Ongoing rehabilitation appointments such as Spinal Specific gyms and exercise
Many of you have contacted me with messages of support and asking if there is anything you can do to help, and this is it.
This injury has not only impaired my ability to live an independent life, but it has also severely affected my ability to financially support myself in the long-term due to the ongoing side-affects such as chronic pain.
No donation is too small and all donations are welcomed.
- SimmyG Capito
- Martin Lee
- Jordan Djoeandy
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more