Donate To Uganda's LGBT Shelters
Uganda is one of the most dangerous places in the world to be LGBT+. The Anti-Homosexuality Act 2023 signed by the Ugandan President has criminalized any form of housing, expression, association, or support for LGBT+ people, putting their lives and rights at risk. Many LGBT+ people have been forced to flee their homes, families, and communities due to violence, discrimination, and stigma, rendering them homeless. They have nowhere to go but the few LGBT+ shelters that offer them safety, protection, and empowerment.
The passing of this law means:
• Anyone convicted of participating in same-sex acts between adults will face life in prison;
• Anyone "promoting homosexuality" will face 20 years in prison;
• Those who allow their premises to be used for "acts of homosexuality" face 7 years;
• Those who "fail to report acts of homosexuality" could face 5 years;
• And those charged with "aggravated homosexuality" face the death penalty.
This is an emergency worthy of a global response. We cannot allow the tide of equality to be turned back so harshly and cruelly against LGBT+ Ugandans who have fought for their rights and safety tirelessly for decades.
The Uganda Minority Shelters Consortium (UMSC) is a Ugandan network of LGBT+ shelters that provides safe and supportive spaces for LGBT+ people (LBQT+ womn, LGBT+ HRDs, LGBT+ sex workers, LGBT+ refugees, and LGBT+ people living with HIV/AIDS etc.) who are homeless and face discrimination, violence, and persecution in Uganda. The UMSC was formed in 2020 by 25 LGBT+ Shelter Organisations that wanted to work together and coordinate their efforts to address the challenges and needs of homeless LGBT+ people in Uganda.
But these shelters are under constant threat from the anti-LGBT+ movement, the government, and phobic society. They face harassment, raids, arrests, evictions, and attacks. They struggle to secure funding, resources, and partnerships. Furthermore, they need your help to continue their vital work and to resist the oppressive laws and policies that endanger their existence.
Your donation will help UMSC to:
- Provide rapid response and emergency services to LGBT+ victims of violence, torture, discrimination, and stigma.
- Provide safe and comfortable accommodation and relocation for homeless LGBT+ people
- Cover the costs of food, water, electricity, sanitation, medical care and welfare for the shelter residents
- Train the shelter staff and volunteers on security, human rights, and advocacy
- Raise awareness and mobilize support for the LGBT+ community in Uganda
- Challenge the Anti-Homosexuality Act 2023 and other discriminatory laws and practices
No amount is too small or too big. Every dollar and euro counts and makes a difference. Please donate today and share this campaign with your friends, family, and networks. Together, we can stand with Uganda's LGBT+ shelters in their fight for survival and justice!
Thank you for your generosity and solidarity!
For more details, please contact:
Name: John Grace
Designation: Consortium Coordinator
Email: [email redacted]
Contact and WhatsApp: +256702906536
Gay Ugandan asks Where will I go as secret shelters under threat - BBC News
Gay activist says Uganda LGBTQ community 'in shock' at new law | Reuters
Uganda Anti-Homosexuality bill Life in prison for saying you're gay - BBC News
LGBTQ activists in Uganda 'in shock' over anti-gay legislation, fearing mass arrests | CBC News
‘Born out of hatred’ New Uganda bill terrifies LGBTQ community | Features | Al Jazeera
DonationsSee top donations
Become the first supporter
Your donation matters
Fundraising team (2)
Uganda LGBT Shelters Consortium UMSC
Raised €1,480 from 12 donations
Raised €100 from 1 donation