Mike's Blood Infection Recovery

On October 20, Michael Huss started feeling a cough coming on. Our family thought nothing about it and figured he would power through it like usual. His cough started to get worse and he began to feel himself getting a sore throat. He continued to power through and hoped for it to go away. He continued into December with this sickness still present, so he visited a doctor. They gave him antibiotics and sent him away. Suddenly, his sickness began to worsen. He found himself walking upstairs and gasping for air as if he were a smoker. We began to assume it was Laryngitis and even sent him to a specialist. This is where things became terrifying. He went to the specialist and they sent him to urgently go to the emergency room. He neglected to go for several days for my birthday was coming up. When he finally checked into the emergency room at around 8PM on December 16th, the doctors found him with an oxygen level of 80. The normal oxygen level for a person is somewhere between 95-100, meaning that he was low on oxygen. They ran numerous tests and took blood from a large number of places all up and down his arms. His family visited him every day leading to his diagnosis, and found that he was losing muscle rapidly. On December 20th, the doctors diagnosed him with a blood infection in the lungs. This was a "great" thing to hear, because that meant that it is not cancer or anything of a large extent like it. He continued with his oxygen and antibacterial treatment until December 23. During the night (as far as we know), he woke up and he went to the bathroom. While he was in there, he is believed to have passed out. When the nurse found him his body was blue. He was rushed to the ICU and the doctors found his oxygen levels to be at 56(!). He was placed into a Medically Induced Coma immediately and remains there now. The doctors chose this option to keep his oxygen high and give him the help he needs without making him overreact. He has been in a bed for so long that he suffers from blood clots and muscle atrophy. He will be going into physical therapy at the hospital and will not come home until around the end of January. Mike has been out of work for almost two weeks now and will soon stop receiving paychecks. Any donations will help fund the needs of our house and his medical expenses.
  • Sandy Weiser 
    • $180 
    • 41 mos
  • John S 
    • $10 
    • 45 mos
  • Amy Ciuffreda  
    • $25 
    • 48 mos
  • Joy Kovacs 
    • $100 
    • 48 mos
  • Lisa Mann 
    • $25 
    • 48 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Michael Huss 
Kenilworth, NJ
Dolores Huss 
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more