The New Mike Olsen Medical Fund

In late 2014,  my friend Mike Olsen began to experience serious breathing problems.  He seemed constantly short of breath and tired easily.  In December he had an open lung biopsy surgery and was diagnosed with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, a terminal lung disease.

Because of this disease, Mike can no longer work.  His lovely wife Patti has to work full time to carry the financial burden, as well as to provide his health insurance.  Because of the medicines, oxygen and other associated expenses, their financial situation remains tenuous.

 Mike was put on oxygen and given a medication to hopefully slow down the progression of the lung scarring.  He has also been listed for a double lung transplant, which is the only life-giving option available for this terminal lung disease.  

Post op recovery will come with its own challenges, because Mike will have to be on anti rejection medication for the rest of his life.  The average double lung transplant costs between 800,000 and 1,000,000 dollars, not to mention the pre and post medical bills he will be incurring over the subsequent period.  Although insurance will hopefully pick up 80 percent of the cost, the other 20 percent of all costs will be out of pocket.  There will also be significant ongoing medical expenses for anti-rejection medications, etc.

Despite this terminal diagnosis,  Mike did not just fold up or lose hope.  For one thing, he is always smiling and always with the infectious positive attitude!  And he is in constant contact with other sufferers around the world through social media providing friendship and inspiration.

Mike has dedicated himself to increasing awareness of this little known disease in order to get funding for research and to improve the lives of those suffering from it.  To this end he has met with numerous dignitaries, including the Mayor of Louisville, the Governor of Kentucky, and the President of the United States!  But Mike has done this only to bring attention to the plight of those suffering, and has never used these opportunities to ask for for financial support for himself.

 Please donate to  help Mike and  Patti with their accumulating medical bills.

 To help Mike just google gofundme, select the GoFundMe:#1 option, and there will be a search prompt in the upper left hand corner.  Enter The New Mike Olsen Medical Fund.   Mike has also set up a medical fund bank account held at Commonwealth Bank and Trust in Louisville, KY, under the Mike Olsen Medical Fund.  Just mail the check to Commonwealth Bank and Trust at 4944 US Highway 42, Louisville, KY 40222. Make the check out to Patricia Olsen, Mike's wife, and put Mike Olsen Medical Fund on the memo line.  If you have any questions you may call the bank directly at  [phone redacted].  This is simply an alternative to donation through Go Fund Me.  Thank you for your consideration.
  • Maria Espino-Lorenzo 
    • $50 
    • 24 mos
  • John Petillo 
    • $50 
    • 24 mos
  • Mary Wrage 
    • $35 
    • 24 mos
  • Liza Maguire 
    • $20 
    • 24 mos
  • Tina Brown 
    • $100 
    • 28 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Louis Ortega 
Organizer
Louisville, KY
Patti Heinlein Olsen 
Beneficiary