This is my daughter Dawn, her husband Danny and my grandkids - Alec, Cullen and Brenna's home.
They lost everything, including 2 pets. Insurance isn't going to help very much. "PLEASE HELP"
Please share this tragedy with your own family and friends..... even a small donation is helpful and appreciated.
Scroll for pictures
Displaced family mourns two pets killed in Frederick house fire. Oct 20, 2017
A Frederick family was mourning the deaths of two pets that died in a house fire that also displaced the family from their home Friday morning.
Dawn McAskill was home when the fire started sometime before 9:40 a.m. in the split-level house in the 2100 block of Archet Lane.
While county fire marshals determined the fire likely began in the laundry room in the sub-basement, McAskill said she first saw smoke in the kitchen.
"I noticed smoke was coming out of the dishwasher, so I ran upstairs to grab the cats and told the dogs to come, to follow me," McAskill said.
Shaking her head as she sat in the driveway, McAskill gently stroked the white cloth firefighters had draped over the body of Tessa, a beagle mix and one of several beloved pets who lived in the house.
"She didn't follow me," McAskill said, wiping tears from her eyes. "I thought she was right behind me, but she didn't make it out."
By the time McAskill had secured the cats and the family's other dog in a shed behind the house and ran back into the house to find Tessa, the kitchen was full of smoke, she said.
When the first firefighters arrived a few minutes later, they found smoke coming from all four sides of the house with fire extending up from the sub-basement, said Eddie Ruch, a Frederick County deputy fire marshal.
Several firefighters entered the building to extinguish the blaze and searched for Tessa, finding the dog in a rear second-floor bedroom, said Junior Fire Company Deputy Chief Rusty Hahn.
"Firefighters were able to remove that animal from the home and they did actually start lifesaving efforts to revive it, but unfortunately they were unsuccessful," Hahn said.
A pet hedgehog also died as a result of the fire, which took about 20 minutes to extinguish, according to fire officials.
Every floor of the house sustained smoke damage in addition to fire damage in the lower floors and walls, Ruch said.
Water damage from attempts to extinguish the fire also compounded the damage to the house, which was rendered uninhabitable as of Friday, Ruch said.
Volunteers from the local chapter of the American Red Cross were called to respond to the scene to assist the family.
The initial damage estimate for the house was placed at about $100,000, Ruch said.
The fire was ruled accidental and likely started in the water heater, according to Ruch.
No residents or firefighters were injured.
Follow Jeremy Arias on Twitter: @Jarias_Prime.
Help spread the word!
Firefighter Robert Riley, right, and medics attempt to resuscitate a dog Riley pulled from a bedroom as a fire burned a house on Archet Lane shortly before 10am on Friday. Resident Dawn McAskill is comforted by a neighbor as they look on while the firefighters work unsuccessfully to save Tessa, a family pet.
Staff Photo by Bill Green
BRENNA BURIED OLIVER UNDER A TREE IN THE YARD AND MADE IT A BEAUTIFUL MEMORIAL.
IN LOVING MEMORY OF TESSA AND OLIVER
TESSA WITH MOMMY
TESSA WITH DADDY
OLIVER WITH BRENNA
BRENNA'S BABY OLIVER McASKILL
FIRE FIGHTERS ENTERING THE HOUSE
THEIR HOUSE OF OVER 20 YEARS
BEFORE THE FIRE
DonationsSee top donations
- Linda/Murray Smith
- E Vesely
- Nichole Atallah
- Sherri Ginsburg
- Amy Loomis
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more