Neither Matthew nor Christopher were home at the time of the blaze so thankfully neither they nor anyone else in the building, was seriously harmed.
The two-alarm fire, which, according to the New York Fire Department, was caused by carelessly discarded smoking materials, ripped through the top floor of their building. By the time firefighters had brought it under control, nearly everything Matthew and Christopher owned was gone.
The outpouring of support that followed the fire has been immediate, overwhelming and incredible. Their immediate needs have been taken care of (including temporary housing) but they are still in the early stages of putting their lives back together.
As Matthew and Christopher try to cope with this incomprehensible event, friends and family have been asking how they can help. At this point, given that they are in temporary housing, donations of physical items are currently impractical which is where this GoFundMe comes in. Any and all donations are welcome and greatly appreciated. The funds will be used to rebuild once they have found a new, permanent place to live.
Thank you in advance for your kindness and generous support.
Please share this fundraiser and help spread the word!
- Evan Behringer
- Debbie Corby
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more