The Mason Depot was built in 1902 by the Michigan Central Railroad. The depot served passengers until 1945 and remained vacant until 1979. In 1985, the depot was added to the NRHP (National Register of Historial Places). In 1992, the depot was transformed into the Mason Depot Diner by Mason locals Rod and Kathy Hunt and has been serving the Mason community and surrounding areas ever since.
On the afternoon of July 1st, the Diner suffered from a very intense fire that officials believe started in the basement. Thankfully, the Diner was closed at the time of the fire and those occupying the building were able to evacuate safely. However, the Diner sustained large amounts of structural damage to the basement and first floor as well as extensive smoke damage throughout the building. The extent of damage is severe but has not yet been completely evaluated. The time it will take to restore and reopen is uncertain but is anticipated to take several months.
The goal of this fundraiser is to help Rod and Kathy to get through this long and drawn-out process more quickly and get back to what they love to do -- serving the Mason community.
Any individuals who prefer to make monetary donations in the form of cash or check should call 517-449-0642. For more information, please direct any questions to SaveTheMasonDepot@gmail.com.
We would like to extend a special thank you to all the Fire Departments in the area for their efforts and to the entire community for their comforting words and continued support.
This GoFundMe page has verbal approval by Rod Hunt. All donations will go directly to he and his wife.