HELP LISA ANNA PALMER RAISE FUNDS TO PUBLISH HER BOOK*: "LIGHT A FIRE IN THEIR HEARTS: THE TRUTH ABOUT LEADERSHIP"
Light a Fire in their Hearts “ is a guidebook on leadership. It is gifted with true stories that leaders shared of connecting with people at the human level through compassion, courage, and competence, which helps build better workplaces.
The book helps leaders to answer the question: “To motivate an employee, should I light a fire in their heart or under their ass?” (Hint: One way builds engagement, passion, commitment, positive financial results, and a healthy workplace. The other way creates workplace stress, which can literally lead to illness, ruin work and family relationships, and tank your organization's productivity.)
Please consider donating to my publishing costs. Any and every donation is appreciated from the bottom of my heart.
(*See donation and Sponsorship Levels and accompanying incentives at the bottom of this page)
A SPECIAL MESSAGE FOR CEOs
(*See donation and Sponsorship Levels and accompanying incentives at the bottom of this page)
TARGET AUDIENCES FOR THE BOOK
If you are a new and aspiring leader or a worker, I wrote this book for you. Ultimately, my message to new leaders is that if you decide to take on a leadership role, you have a responsibility to do your part to inspire and engage employees. Not only because is it important for your organization's bottom-line, it will also create healthier workplaces. Healthier workplaces will lead to a healthier world.
If you are a senior executive or an HR specialist, this book can help you to grow the leadership capacity within your organization and create the next generation of G.R.E.A.T. people leaders: Genuine, Respectful, Engaging, Authentic, and Talented. You can put your mind at ease that with great people leaders in place, your employees will be more productive and will feel like they belong, will WANT to come to work, and give their very best to help your organization succeed. Watch your engagement and productivity levels soar, and your relationships with well served clients, and profitable shareholders, strengthen.
This book will give you the principles, approaches and tools you need to inspire and engage your employees and grow your leadership.
Together we can make the world a better workplace for current and future generations.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Lisa Anna Palmer is owner of Cattelan Palmer Consulting and Founder of the Light Your Leadership Brand Institute. She is a Leadership and Career Advancement Specialist dedicated to helping the best rise to the top. She is a coach, an author, and a speaker passionate about helping high performing managers and executives transform into great people leaders.
With over 25 years of experience in HR and OD, Lisa Anna has worked with countless leaders in the public, private and non-profit sectors to make their organizations better. She has guided leaders to explore and boost their ability to inspire and engage employees, colleagues, and clients by sharing leadership secrets that are featured in her book, “Light a Fire in Their Hearts: The Truth About Leadership.”
Lisa is creating the Make the World a Better Workplace Movement, and believes that healthier workplaces will lead to a healthier Planet.
Not only will I be eternally grateful for the support I receive, I am certain those who will experience greater joy, meaning, respect and civility at work, will also appreciate the effects of the Movement to Make the World a Better Workplace.
******************************************************************************************* ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND INFORMATION
WHO CAN JOIN THE MOVEMENT TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER WORKPLACE*
· Are you a C-Level executive or an HR Professional promoting your organization's high performers and subject matter experts like IT specialists, engineers, finance professionals, and 'go to' persons, and wondering how you are going to transform them into great people leaders?
· Are you a progressive leader tired of being told that in order to get ahead you need to “Play the Game?”
· Are you a high performer who wants to get promoted while staying true, by learning how to connect with employees, colleagues, and management in a more meaningful and productive manner?
· Do you believe that there is a better way to motivate workers than use outmoded and outdated management practices?
· Are you tired of suffering and/or seeing your loved ones, be they leaders or front-line workers, suffer as a result of work related situations?
If you answered ‘yes,’ to any of these questions, then join the movement to make the world a better workplace.
(*See Donation and Sponsorship Levels and accompanying incentives at the bottom of this page)
I am on a mission to do my part to make the world a better workplace.
I am accomplishing this by helping leaders to connect with their employees at the human level through the 3 C’s of Connection: Compassion, Courage, and Competence, and The 8 P’s of Ignition: Profundity, Passion, Purpose, Perseverance, Professionalism, Play, Philanthropy, and Prosperity.
If you are a new and aspiring leader or a worker, I wrote this book for you.
LONG-TERM VISION: BETTER WORKPLACE FOUNDATION
My long-term vision is to create the Better Workplace Foundation (BWF). The BWF will support global leadership initiatives. Examples of projects that will be supported through the BWF include: leadership programs for youth, including youth in disadvantaged communities, leadership for environmental causes, funding for leadership research, making workplaces safer in developing economies, as well as support for vulnerable employees who are stuck in jobs that are having adverse effects on their mental and physical well-being. I will reserve 10% of what I raise to begin to establish the Foundation.
But first things first.
"LIGHT A FIRE IN THEIR HEARTS: THE TRUTH ABOUT LEADERSHIP"
In the short-term, I need your help to raise funds to help me bring my message to the masses. Over the last four years, my husband and I have invested a significant amount of personal time, energy, and money (read blood, sweat, and tears) to bring an important project to fruition: the writing of "Light a Fire in Their Hearts: The Truth About Leadership." I've persevered through illness, a flood, financial challenges, and anything else life has thrown at us over the last 4 years. I kept going based on my convictions that something has to change because there are too many suffering in the workplace. It is possible to experience greater meaning and joy, and make a positive difference through work. That is why I kept going. The goal of this project is to raise awareness about the widening leadership gap as well as the need to modernize leadership in order to ignite the fire in the hearts of modern workers.
"Light a Fire in Their Hearts" is a labor of love for people working around the globe. With this book, I seek to spread the message that the state of leadership is a matter of public health, and that making the world a better workplace is essential for current and future generations of workers, leaders, and society as a whole to thrive.
Ultimately, my message to new leaders is that if you decide to take on a leadership role, you have a responsibility to do your part to inspire and engage employees because you have the power to create healthier workplaces, which will in turn contribute to a healthier planet.
MY BIG "WHY" FOR MY WORK AND FOR THE BOOK
For over 25 years, I have worked within organizations advising middle managers and senior leaders on how to inspire, engage, and motivate their people as I carried out a wide range of human resources management and organizational development roles in both the private and public sector. Since launching my company, Cattelan Palmer Consulting, and more recently, as Founder of the Light Your Leadership Brand Institute, I’ve continued to dedicate my time to making workplaces better by helping high performers to transform into great people leaders.
There are many reasons why I wrote this book. Here are the Top 5:
1. No one should get sick or die while trying to make a living. The International Labour Organization estimates that 2.4 million people die every year as a result of work-related illnesses – not including workplace injuries or accidents. Another 1.2 billion suffer as a result of excessive work pressures. While there may be a number of contributing factors, leaders are responsible for setting and reinforcing the standards for what are acceptable and unacceptable behaviours. They are also accountable for fostering a workplace culture that is engaging, respectful and inclusive.
On a more personal level, I burned out at the age of 34 due to working 10-14 hour days for several years. Now, at almost 48, I am still living with the effects of fibromyalgia, which all the doctors told me was probably triggered by the excessive work pressure I had been under. There were times I didn’t think that I would get to see my 40th birthday. I’ve witnessed many people I care about, including family, friends, and clients, suffer at the hands of poor leaders. I also care deeply about the human condition. This is my number one reason for writing this book.
2. To help high performers become great people leaders. One of my mentors, Joel Roberts, taught me to “Write the book you wish you would have had.” Throughout my career, I had the opportunity to lead teams of both direct reports and corporate projects teams. I wish I would have had a book filled with advice and information that they normally don’t teach you in school.
Through my work and experience, I have observed that often companies reward high performers with promotions into formal leadership positions, with direct reports. Making the shift from high performing individual contributor to high performer is not an easy one, as it is a completely different set of skills and a shift in mindset is required.
Therefore, promoting high performers used to being high achievers in their profession, without the proper leadership support and mentorship, can actually harm them and their teams. Why? Because when faced with having to figure out how to motivate others, formal leaders with a skills gap will forgo more progressive approaches and rely on harmful command a control behaviours to get things done.
Leadership is more of an art than an exact science, and it is a way of being rather than a process. Though it is never easy, answering the call to lead can be very meaningful and rewarding to inspire, engage, and help others to grow and to achieve something greater than you could ever achieve on your own. "Light a Fire in Their Hearts: The Truth About Leadership," seeks to provide readers with the information and wisdom they need to face and overcome their challenges as a leader, and to engage with their employees at the human level.
3. To make the world a better workplace for current and future generations. There are far too many negative messages and false beliefs about what it takes to get ahead and to climb the corporate ladder – in all sectors and industries. For example, one of my clients, a brilliant PhD candidate and manager of a team of 5 analysts who loved her, had big dreams of making a significant impact in the lives of the people they served. She asked her director, who was about to retire, what advice he had for her to advance to senior management. His answer: “In order to get ahead in this organization as a woman, you need to become mean.”
The top priority for my work is to help high performers who are likely to get promoted to transform into G.R.E.A.T. people leaders: Genuine, Respectful, Engaging, Authentic, and Talented people leaders.
4. Healthier workplaces will lead to a healthier and more prosperous planet. What happens at work affects all aspects of a person’s life, including personal/family relationships and the manner in which they show up for their communities. When you have engagement levels sitting at 15% according to the latest Gallup State of the Global Workplace survey (2017), it means that over 85% of workers around the world are unhappy with their work situations. Numerous studies over the decades have shown that employees who are happy and engaged produce and perform much better. In contrast, an article in Safety and Health magazine estimates that work-related injuries and deaths are costing the world economy trillions of dollars.
5. To raise awareness regarding the truth about great leadership: that to motivate employees to produce and do their very best, while being happier and healthier, you need to light a fire in their hearts. Organizations around the world are spending trillions of dollars on “leadership courses.” However, anyone with insight into the differences between leadership vs. management, knows that the focus of much of the literature and many of the courses is on management principles. Of course, these have a great deal of merit. However, focusing solely on management and efficiency without humanity can lead to toxic workplaces. When processes and technology become more important than people, long-term success plummets, and the health of employees becomes compromised.
With Light a Fire in Their Hearts, I shine the light on great leaders: those that we can all learn from in order to motivate employees to do their very best work, in a healthy and sustainable manner. My hope is that this book becomes a resource for educational institutions so that aspiring leaders can adopt a positive human-centred mindset early in their leadership journey.
Answering the Call
These are just some of the reasons why I wrote Light a Fire in Their Hearts: The Truth About Leadership.I often think that my life would be so much simpler if I hadn’t answered this call. However, when I think about all the people who are suffering at the hands of poor leadership, I feel compelled to do something about it. I am not able to ignore the fact that the face of leadership needs to change. It is an imperative – it is part of our survival plan. Healthier workplaces will lead to a healthier Planet.
Your Call to Action
Here is how you can donate to this Go Fund Me initiative to help change the face of leadership for the better, and to join the movement to make the world a better workplace for current and future generations of leaders and workers.
I need to raise a minimum of approximately $10,000 US (approx. $13,300 CAN), including:
· $5,000 US to cover fees for publishing commitments
· $3,000 US for marketing and awareness raising to get the word out so that people know about the book. Includes social media, marketing materials, business development, strategic advertising, and other related expenses
· $1,000 US for a website update to accommodate direct book orders
· $1,000 US for initial shipping costs for direct sales (e.g. to ship copies to colleges, universities, and to remote communities)
DONATION AND SPONSORSHIP LEVELS AND INCENTIVES
All donors (optional) will be listed on the LisaAnnaPalmer.com website as members of the Make the World a Better Workplace Movement.
Donations of $5-24 CAN: A Big Huge heartfelt "Thank You!" Every dollar counts. You can now say that you joined the Movement to Make The World a Better Workplace for current and future generations.
· Donations of $25 CAN: A personalized thank you note from me, with links to three Light a Fire in Their Hearts Videos. Listed on website as an honorary member of the Make the World a Better Workplace Movement. An electronic copy of the book.
· Donations of $50 CAN: A personalized thank you note from me, with links to three Light a Fire in Their Hearts Videos. An electronic copy of the book as well as a copy of the paperback. Listed on website as an honorary member of the Make the World a Better Workplace Movement.
· Donations of $100-$499 CAN: A personalized thank you note from me, with links to three Light a Fire in Their Hearts Videos. A signed copy of the Light A Fire in Their Hearts: The Truth About Leadership Book. Listed on website as an honorary member of the Make the World a Better Workplace Movement.
· Donations of $500-$999 CAN: A personalized thank you note from me, with links to three Light a Fire in Their Hearts Videos. Listed on website as a VIP member of the Make a Better Workplace Movement and mention and 3 signed books shipped to a single address.
· Sponsorship of $1,000-$4,999 CAN: A personalized thank you note from me with links to three Light a Fire in Their Hearts Videos. A total of 20 signed books per every $1,000 dollars, shipped to a single address. Listed on website as a Silver sponsor of the Make the World a Better Workplace Movement with a logo. Logo will also be prominently displayed during launch party.
· Sponsorship of $5,000 CAN: A personalized thank you note from me with links to three Light a Fire in Their Hearts Videos. A total of 20 signed books per $1,000 dollars, shipped to a single address. One day leadership retreat for up to 5 managers in your company. Listed on website as a Gold sponsor of the Make the World a Better Workplace Movement with a logo. Logo will also be prominently displayed during launch party and in launch program/brochure. Travel and accommodations not included.
· Sponsorship of $10,000+ CAN: A personalized thank you note from me with links to three Light a Fire in Their Hearts Videos. A total of 20 signed books per $1,000 dollars, shipped to a single address. A two-day retreat for 3 C-Level executives in your company. Listed on website as a Platinum sponsor of the Make the World a Better Workplace Movement with a logo and a link to a company video on website (video content subject to approval). An opportunity to speak at launch party or stream a commercial. Logo will also be prominently displayed during launch party and in launch program/brochure. Travel and accommodations not included.
· The amazing feeling we get when we make a positive a difference with lasting impact: Most of all, you can feel good about joining the Make The World a Better Workplace Movement, a movement to help workers and great leaders around the globe to live happier, healthier, more meaningful lives while they contribute their best – thus making the world a better workplace. Healthier workplaces will contribute to a healthier planet.