It absolutely breaks my heart to write this. Our baby girl Lola, a 15 year old pug, is currently at Canada West Critical Care Veterinary Hospital on IV’s and pain meds among other things that I’ll outline below. We are at the point in her care that we are requesting financial support.
It all started Boxing day, this past Thursday, with some upset tummy, she threw up, we didn’t think too much of it. That night, every hour she was waking up throwing up. Between 2-5am she would no longer go back to sleep and refused to lay down. She was hunching her back. She was in a lot of pain. We called the local Veterinary ER and took her in. They said they suspected a mild case of pancreatitis. She wasn’t dehydrated and we took her home after receiving anti-nausea med injection, subcutaneous fluids and medications to administer at home; some gut soothing medication, more anti-nausea meds, antibiotics (for a small bladder infection), and low fat gastro food.
That night she slept, we remained optimistic. But she still wasn’t eating the next day, so we took her to our regular vet and they did x-rays and had a specialist review them the next morning. We went in for the follow up and they said there was an opaque spot around her bladder, and weren’t sure exactly what the cause was, but pancreatitis couldn’t be ruled out. They recommended an ultrasound to get detail and confirm what we are dealing with.
Our vet recommended that we take her to Canada West at that point because they could get an ultrasound with a board certified tech quicker than waiting and requesting one through them. Plus they could of course give her give her the pain meds she needs and keep her on IV’s overnight. So that’s what we did. Yesterday we took her there and tearfully dropped her off. We went back and before her bedtime and helped her settle. She still wasn’t eating.
Today, we got the call from the ICU doctor and he said that blood results are really good for a lady her age, but she had bloody urine overnight. There is also a round nodule or cyst in her bladder, but didn’t think it is related to her current situation, so is lower priority for her focus of care. We wait on the additional urinalysis results still. He said he would send a quote for additional days in the hospital.
For the first emergency vet visit, it was just over $1,000, the 2 regular vet visits with xrays and specialist interpretation was around $700 and to date at Canada West we are at $2,600. Total now is around $4,300 in Veterinary bills that we have paid for. Each additional day she remains there (including tonight) is estimated at $1200 for the pain medication, gut motility, IV and anti nausea medications in the 24 hour staffed ICU.
Unfortunately we don’t have insurance for her and we have scraped together any savings and non-necessity dollars we have. But we, like many, don’t have a lot of extra money laying around.
We appreciate anything anyone can send to help bring Lola home to us. We are hoping to raise At least $4,000 which would cover the costs for a few more days at the emergency hospital and possibly investigate the cyst, if needed after she is better, we would love to have most of the costs covered. Of course, if we receive more than we need, we would ensure it is donated to pay the kindness forward to another pet in need.
We believe she still has a lot of time left with us, she is the happiest, sweetest girl around that many never believe us when we tell them she is 15! We would really be devastated to lose her to this.
Anything is greatly and truly appreciated. Any donation, no matter how small you think, it will help and means so much to us and Lola. Thank you!
If you can’t support financially, please help us spread the word and share this to your social media. It would mean so much to us!!
Thank you, thank you,
Susan & Jesus, Lola’s parents
- Meghan Carter
- Joel Joyner
- Tammy Quach