Little Explorers animal care fundraiser

We need your help! Little Explorers Petting Zoo is temporarily closed to all in-person animal visits due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic.

 

Since 2008, we have depended solely on revenue from mobile events and at-school educational programs to meet our daily financial needs. Since our shelter in place started on March 13th, we have managed to provide for our 150+ animals with our rainy-day fund. We have continued to give our animals the best care possible, hoping, fingers crossed the shelter in place would be lifted soon and we would be able to bring in some much-needed income. We knew this was an uncertain time and have cut all costs to stretch that rainy-day fund as far as it can go. Though I am not sure when we will work out with the public again. Understandable so. 

 

We are trying every avenue to bring in additional income to cover our cost and are only asking for help as a last resort. We have applied for many government and private grants and have gotten nothing. We are hopeful to receive a government grant. But, we will not be allowed to spend that money on the animals, only payroll. In the meantime, we have restructured our business and are conducting virtual animal visits at no charge to educators. We would like to continue offering these programs as a way to support educators in these difficult times because they have supported us for many years. They too are struggling. Our service provides a little dose of stress relief to the students, their families, and teachers. While supporting science curriculums and nurturing a love of nature. We have spoken to many educators since the shelter in place and due to their uncertain financial circumstances, most all are unable to pay for this service and appreciate it greatly. But, sadly, this will not be a significant source of income to get us through.

 

Your donation will go 100% toward feed and vet care for the animals.

 Bales of hay average cost $20 per bale. Bags of animal feed average at $20 per bag. Our fresh produce averages $60 a week. We raise 90% of our insects to feed animals, the other 10% averages $25 per week. Our monthly medicine bill is $340 a month. On average our vet bills run $300-$500 each. 

We have prided ourselves in not being a petting zoo that conducts our business using the “turn-around” systems to meet our needs. (getting animals when we need them for an event, then re-homing them) Our animals are our family. Most have been with us since the beginning, are getting older, and are requiring daily arthritis medication and frequent vet visits.

 

This is an unprecedented hard time for everyone, and we wish we could get through this without asking for help. Please only support if you truly can. We very much appreciate it!

 

Thank you for your love, well wishes, and support!

Sincerely, Kris Appleby owner of this little wonderful zoo

Donations ()

  • Jill Couture 
    • $100 
    • 5 d
  • Nicolle Row 
    • $30 
    • 8 d
  • Debbie Shinoda 
    • $30 
    • 14 d
  • Jacob Clark 
    • $40 
    • 14 d
  • Veronica Duran  
    • $100 
    • 15 d
See all

Organizer

Kris Appleby 
Organizer
San Leandro, CA
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more