Imagine you are in a foreign country, where you don’t speak the language or have a support network to fall back on, and you are a victim of gender-based violence. You are in need of help, but where do you go? How do you find a trustworthy shelter or helpline? At the moment there is no respected international website with reliable and trustworthy information about helplines, shelters and NGOs around the world.
This is going to change, by creating lila.help.
1 in 3 women experiences violence at least once in her life. Fewer than 40 percent of women who experience violence, seek help of any sort. On top of that, the impact of the pandemic on women and girls is staggering. Recent UN Women data shows an intensification of intimate partner violence, and estimates 243 million women and girls have been affected in the past 12 months. Counts from every part of the world show an increase of 25% up to 50% of reported cases of domestic violence during the pandemic.
To protect survivors of domestic and/or sexual violence, the barrier to find help should be as low as possible. Therefore, reliable and accessible information is of the utmost importance. In this light, the Global Network of Women’s Shelters (GNWS) is launching a Worldwide Women’s Helplines directory called lila.help.
With lila.help we:
- Display available help for people that experience gender-based violence at any time, wherever they are in the world.
- Have all shared information verified for accuracy and trustworthiness.
- Increase the number of people finding the help they need
- Prevent a victim reaching out to help and tragically not finding any because of a phone number change or non-updated website.
- Will be a referral source for supportive friends, family, professionals.
What will happen with your donation?
All donations are welcome and can be used to further develop the directory and support the network. Our goals:
- US$ 10K will make our website more user friendly, by providing a specialized search. Imagine you are an Arabic speaking woman in Spain. Because of your health, you can’t walk and you have a dog that is very dear to you and which you cannot leave behind. You want to find a shelter where the staff speaks your language, which is accessible by wheelchair and where pets are allowed. With the specialized search, women will be able to easily find out which shelters meet these requirements.
- US$ 30K will allow us to let the world know about lila.help. To make sure women around the world know about lila.help, we will need to run global campaigns and invest in search engine optimization.
- US$ 75K is what we need to dig deeper. It will help us identify and support the available shelters and NGOs in every country and territory in the world.
GNWS is a global alliance of women’s shelters and other organizations working to protect survivors of gender-based violence. We are the peak organization to connect and represent helplines, crisis centers and shelters all over the world. Working from a human rights and feminist perspective, we strive to meet the needs of all women experiencing violence. www.gnws.org
DonationsSee top donations
- Faith Davis
- Cynthia Southworth