Do you want to join me in making a difference? I'm raising money in aid of Compassion in World Farming and every donation will help. Thank you in advance for your contribution to this cause that means so much to me.
In 2021 I will be undertaking the challenge of running 100km continuously and unsupported from Pleshey to Harwich along the Essex Way, a long-distance, cross-country trail path. I’ll be doing this to raise money for Compassion in World Farming (CIWF); a campaigning and lobbying animal welfare organisation. It campaigns against the live export of animals, certain methods of livestock slaughter, and all systems of factory farming. For the sake of animals, people and our planet, global action is needed to end factory farming and reduce overall meat consumption in favour of regenerative agriculture.
Not only have CIWF done incredible work to improve animal welfare within the UK, but they’re also working hard to end one of the most horrific creations by humans: factory farms. Not only are over 70 billion land animals killed every year due to factory farming, but its also a major contributor to the climate change challenge, releasing vast volumes of greenhouse gases. We now know that man-made climate change is real and that it poses a great threat to the planet and its inhabitants. Current data suggest that we need to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions in developed countries by at least 80% by 2050 in order to have a chance of staying below an average temperature rise of over 2ºC. Here are some facts relating to the unbelievable amount of resources needed to sustain our current habits, and the amount of greenhouse gases released into the atmosphere due to animal agriculture.
1. Brazil is the worlds largest exporter of beef, and regularly razes the Amazon rainforest to create grazing land for cows. Around 91% of the Amazons destruction can be linked to animal agriculture. The amount of plant and animal diversity lost in the famous Amazon fires that gripped the world in 2019 is nothing compared to the amount big animal ag companies have, and continue to raze.
2. Animal agriculture is responsible for 18% of greenhouse gas emissions, more than the combined exhaust from alltransportation (14%).
3. It takes 2500 litres of water to produce 1 beef burger patty - equivalent to showering for two months.
4. Livestock and food grown exclusively to feed livestock covers 45% of the earths total land.
5. 71% of farmland across the EU is used to feed livestock.
6. Animal agriculture is responsible for 65% of nitrous oxide emissions; a greenhouse gas 296x more destructive than CO2.
7. Animal agriculture is the leading cause of species extinction, ocean dead zones, water pollution and habitat destruction.
8. We already produce enough food to feed 1.5 times the worlds population, we can literally end world hunger, but we feed a massive amount to animals instead. The calorie conversion rate is woefully low and entirely unsustainable.
9. Global farmland use could be reduced by more than 75% – an area equivalent to the US, China, European Union and Australia combined – and still feed the world.
10. 1.5 acres of land can produce 16,780kg of plant based food or 170kg of beef.
Please support me by donating to my fundraiser. Or alternatively, if you are unable to donate, please support in another way by reducing your intake of animal products. You don’t need them, In fact, the environment as well as your health will benefit without them, and you’ll be reducing the harm done to countless animals.