LGBTQ+ Ghana Safe Space Community Center
On 24th February, 2021, LGBT+ Rights Ghana’s safe space was raided by the landlord, Ghana Police Service along with members of the media and officers from the National Security. As a result, the movement has had to seek new beginnings. We are hoping to build our very own community center to continue in supporting the Ghanaian LGBTQ+ community. There will be risks given the climate created from our first space, but our intentions are to expand our support network to include allies and those in Ghana who are not a part of our community directly but support.
In the midst of the challenges the LGBTQ+ community is facing, we have set the goal of creating an LGBT+ Safe Space Community Center. As a collective and autonomous project, our plan is to foster a much more cooperative approach, bringing together individuals, efforts and ideas towards making a greater impact and bring dignity to and for our community. Our aim is to raise $100,000 USD to secure a well-equipped facility with high-tech security installed and will support the programs, initiatives and operations of the movement and the Ghanian LGBTQ+ Community in general.
The LGBT+ Safe Space Community Center will serve multiple purposes:
1. Office Space: The LGBT+ Safe Space Community Center will serve as the official office space for the LGBT+ Rights Ghana movement, where all permanent and temporal day to day activities of the movement will operate from.
2. Inclusion Space: The LGBT+ Safe Space Community Center will serve as an inclusive space where LGBT+ community can learn, engage and empower each other through discussion circles, capacity building, program development and other community empowerment programs.
3. Activism Centre: The LGBT+ Safe Space Community Center will be the heart of the egalitarian cause in Ghana. We intend to promote advocacy and leadership development actions as well as initiate political, legislative and social projects to strengthen the fight for the Ghanian LGBTQ+ community.
4. Health Promotion Space: The LGBT+ Safe Space Community Center will serve as a place where community members can access health education, disease prevention and other health related information and support.
5. Documentation Center: The LGBT+ Safe Space Community Center will develop programs and investigation projects with a focus on gender, equity, sexuality as well as collecting, cataloguing and documenting the history of Ghanaian LGBT+ individuals.
6. Library: The LGBT+ Safe Space Community Center will develop the first Ghana LGBTQ+ library where books, magazines, artifacts, and historical pictures, videos and documents will be housed and maintained.
In the spirit of transparency, all activities surrounding the development of the LGBT+ Safe Space Community Center along with progress updates will be shared on our website along with posts highlighting key benchmarks on our social platforms.
We initiate you to HELP US create the first LGBT+ Safe Space. We are most grateful in advance for all incoming contributions.
“Never underestimate the difference you can make in the lives of others. Step forward, reach out and help. This week reach to someone that might need a lift” ~Pablo
(If you would like to contact LGBT+ Rights Ghana, please contact them directly through their website.)
DonationsSee top donations
- Noble Fox Zoe
- Rashad Muhammad
- Antoine Nolan Carter
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more