LiBeirut: Disaster relief campaign for the Beirut explosion
Libeirut, meaning For Beirut, is a humanitarian emergency relief campaign led by local NGOs Lebanon Needs, The House of Christmas, and Cenacle de la Lumiere to help preserve human life and human dignity by tackling the healthcare, shelter, and infrastructure crises that resulted from the massive explosion of the port of Lebanon’s capital on August 4, 2020.
The catastrophe, which has been dubbed one of the world’s most powerful explosions, has left thousands of people injured and close to half a million people homeless, among other casualties.
In collaboration with specialist partners, Libeirut campaign will deliver a three-pronged response: a healthcare response focused on equipping the most affected hospitals while supporting victims; a shelter response that aims to offer a temporary safe haven to those rendered homeless; and a reconstruction response that seeks to rehabilitate the damaged neighborhoods of Beirut.
For an optimal impact across all three responses, Libeirut will first conduct a situational assessment, followed by response implementation, evaluation, and revision.
1. The House of Christmas is a registered non-profit organisation that aims to offer financial assistance to underprivileged families across Lebanon.
2. Lebanon Needs is an initiative that provides medications and health support to underserved Lebanese citizens. Its registration as a non-governmental organisation in Lebanon is currently under process.
3. Cenacle de la Lumiere (CDLL) is a registered non-governmental organisation in Lebanon that focuses on addiction recovery and youth empowerment.
How will the funds raised be used?
1. Tangible sources of expense include medications, medical supplies, medical examination devices, construction material, electric and plumbing equipment, and cleaning and sanitation equipment.
2. Intangible sources of expense include medical training, temporary shelter, salaries of rehabilitation workers, transportation and logistics, and other support activities.
- Elinora Selimi
- Steve Presha
- Noor Ramadhan
- Olivia Dibble