Koori Mail was affected by the Lismore 2022 floods in February when the water reached a record height of 14.5m and flooded our first floor of offices.
The building is still structurally sound, however it has been completely destroyed and now we need bring attention to rebuilding the home of Australia’s only independent fortnightly Indigenous newspaper. This includes severe damage left to the interior and exterior, and support to secure the remaining suites of the building to ensure the Koori Mail staff have adequate office space to continue full operations and production.
Our priority has always been community during this tragedy, but now we seek your support for the Koori Mail the same way we have supported the community in the flood relief and recovery efforts since March 1st. By supporting the Koori Mail, you are supporting the voices of Indigenous Australia, and supporting an Indigenous businesses that has been sharing the stories of our people for thirty years strong.
Through our relief hub we have supported the greater Lismore community and remote Indigenous communities by:
- Providing food to cut off communities; via car, boat and helicopter
- Helping evacuate people by car, boat and helicopter
- Providing medical support from on-site nurses and doctors to helicopter drop-ins to cut of properties
- An on-site kitchen that is cooking 600+ meals a day for Lismore city and home deliveries
- An op-shop that is free to community
- A free food bank
- And lend of heavy duty equipment, ie. gurney’s, wet and dry vacuums, dehumidifiers, sanders, generators etc.
- Delivery of furniture, mattresses and white goods