Edit: Day 1 of posting, we have raised $400 in private donations! With the donations from the animal charity organizations we have $1800 accounted for. We are well on our way to $3700! Thank you so much to those who have donated. We are enterally grateful. Kona and I thank you to everyone who has donated and shared this post!
Kona is an Alaskan Malamute and is between 7-9 years old. He is a rescue from Northern California. He needs an MRI to confirm a tumor on his pituitary gland causing Diabetes Insipidus.
My name is Leigh Anne Hood. I'm Kona's human mom. I adopted Kona in 2017. Three months ago he had an allergic reaction to a steroid called Prednisone. It caused his immune system to temporarily crash and caused a skin condition called Calcinosis Cutis. It caused the body to form calcium deposits and push them through his compromised skin causing open lesions and uncontrolled bleeding. The open wounds was prime real estate for a life threatening skin eating bacterial infection called Ralstonia Pickettii. At the time of diagnosis, Kona was almost 30 lbs underweight and had stopped eating, drinking, and using the bathroom. He had less than 24 hours to live when we got the culture results. He was immediately shaved of all his fur so the full body lesions and infection could be treated topically as well as with an injectable antibiotic. I will include more pics if possible. I've included the NextDoor link which has more pics of Kona and his progress with the skin infection.
The infection was resistant to all treatments except one, Amikacin. Amikacin saved Kona's life and I am eternally grateful. Amikacin is considered a drug of last resort because of all the severe potential side effects it can cause. One known significant side effect are tumors on the pituitary gland. Since taking Amikacin, Kona has made a remarkable recovery. The bacterial infection was killed. He has started to regrow his undercoat, his top coat should come in by April/March. He has put on much of his missing weight, his appetite is great, and bowel movements are starting to normalize.
However, Kona has started to decline again and has become urinary incontinent, has increased thirst, and now has problems with the coordination of his legs. This condition is called diabetes insipidus. He is often unstable or his leg will collapse from under him. He is showing all the major symptoms of a growing tumor on his pituitary gland. He is maxed out on his current medications and we don't know how long the medication will control his symptoms. I still have to work 8 hours in an office. He cannot control himself beyond 2-3 hours without medication. Six hours max with medication. Causing frequent accidents in the home without the help of belly bands.
Kona has an insatiable need for water, drinking 3-4 times the normal amount without medical intervention. On two separate occasions, he drank all the water in his bowl, he then broke into my bathroom and flooded it looking for additional water while I was at work. The water from my toilet has flooded the bottom apartment twice in a 6 week time span. I'm at risk of losing my apartment if this happens again. I do not have the ability to work from home. Kona cannot be managed by doggy day care, nor can he be managed by a dog walker. Kona needs an MRI at the earliest opportunity.
Kona's primary vet is Newport Animal Hospital in Newport Rhode Island. His dermatologist is Angell West in Waltham MA. The MRI procedure will be performed by his internist at Ocean State Animal Hospital in East Greenwich RI. They have quoted me $3500 for the procedure. I am soliciting donations to cover the remainder of his MRI expense. This does not include treatment options if a tumor is confirmed like radiation treatment or surgery. Ocean State will not schedule the MRI until the full amount of the procedure has been collected/promised. The MRI will determine the cause of the medical condition Diabetes Insipidus.
Kona is currently on 8 different medications a day taken 12 hours apart to control his symptoms and to help him heal. It's a huge financial demand and physical responsibility.
Kona's medical problems over the last three months have drained all my savings and my credit cards are maxed out. I have delayed car repairs and my own medical care as a rare disease patient to support Kona's medical needs. Kona is the only immediate family member I have. He is also my Emotional Support Animal from all my medical needs. He means everything to me. Please help me save him.
Currently I have been promised funds from various animal charity organizations:
Potter League for Animals: $400
Friends of Animals: $200
Volunteer Services for Animals: $500.
Private Donations: $400.
Total Donations Thus Far: $1800.00
If you have it in your heart and have the ability to donate, Kona and I would be very appreciative. Anything would help. If you are not financially able to, please share this request by social media or by email. We are asking for a total of $3700, $3500 for the MRI and the remainder to cover any processing fees required by the GoFundMe.
Leigh Anne Hood