Main fundraiser photo

Pay Rob Treutel's Hospital Costs

Donation protected

Our much beloved Rob Treutel was feeling good at the start of 2016 and ready to make the move from his mountain cabin in Blairsville, Georgia back to Atlanta. Soon after, he started feeling sick. He went to the doctor but was dismissed and sent home with Zpac. Two days later, with his breathing considerably compromised, Rob was admitted into Emory University Hospital in Atlanta and diagnosed with a severe case of pneumonia. They put him on a CPAP machine in the attempt to help him breathe. By Friday, January 15th, he was taken to ICU, sedated and put on a ventilator to allow his heavily infected lungs a chance to rest. As well, his liver and kidneys were damaged and he became septic. Thru the weekend and with a slight uptick in his vital signs, they attempted to bring Rob off the ventilator and reduce sedation. Over the course of his 12-day stay at Emory, there were several hopeful days. The staff attempted breathing trials and he was able to go 2 hours without the ventilator for several of those before being put back on with light sedation due to increased heart rate.

On Friday, 1/22,  while his mom was singing his favorite lullaby as a child, Rob briefly opened his eyes, turned his head, and made recognition for his mom, his sister and his aunt,  What an incredible blessing that moment was, and offered some hope to all of us that Rob could pull thru.

Unfortunately, a favorable outcome was simply not to be. Rob’s health really started to decline on Saturday, 1/23. He went into septic shock and infection further damaged his liver. He started showing signs of jaundice, he started to fight the ventilator, his oxygen level dropped, and there was some internal bleeding. The doctors increased his oxygen to as much as 90% at that point. On Sunday, 1/24, the doctors arranged for a family meeting and the decision was made to take him off the ventilator the following morning. Many of us spent the night holding his hand, stroking his hair, showing our love and simply being together with him.

The family was called in at 4 am the next morning as his condition worsened overnight. They took him off the ventilator and he passed away within a minute. He died at 10:45 am at the age of only 50.

In lieu of flowers at the service, the family asked for donations to go toward the insurmountable hospital costs. During this time of incredible grief, I’ve initiated this page to help reduce their anxiety and burden of paying those costs. All donations received will go directly toward paying all bills incurred at Emory Hospital for the almost 2 weeks he was there, over and above what insurance would not cover. 

Rob was such an amazing and special man. He was so giving, creative, thoughtful and caring of all his family and friends. He had an amazing quick wit and sense of humor that was unmatched, and he made you feel like you were the only one that mattered in a crowded room. He will live on in our hearts forever. Creating this page is our small way of helping him, his family and keeping his unforgettable memory alive. I know he would do the same for us.

Sleep well, sweet Robbie, until we meet again. We love you big as the sky and beyond.

Thank you so much for anything you can donate toward our goal.





  • Anonymous
    • $150 
    • 8 yrs

Organizer and beneficiary

Christina Reeves
Avondale Estates, GA
Leslie Treutel

Your easy, powerful, and trusted home for help

  • Easy

    Donate quickly and easily

  • Powerful

    Send help right to the people and causes you care about

  • Trusted

    Your donation is protected by the GoFundMe Giving Guarantee