Thanks in advance for your contribution.
Khmer Sight Foundation’s mission is to eliminate avoidable blindness in Cambodia and provide expert clinical training for local healthcare professionals.
Khmer Sight run missions with volunteer eye surgeons from around the world where cataract and pterygium surgery is offered free of charge.
Avoidable Blindness in Cambodia
- Over 180,000 Cambodians are blind.
- 10,000 Cambodians suffer avoidable blindness each year.
- 90% of blindness is avoidable. 79% is curable and 11% is preventable.
- Three-quarters of blindness is due to cataracts, and the rest is due to uncorrected vision, glaucoma, corneal scarring and pterygium.
- Cambodia has one of the lowest number of eye specialist doctors per capita in the world.
- 10 percent of the population lives below the poverty line; over 40% of Cambodians earn $2 per day.
- Most of the poor live in rural areas where there is either no or limited access to eye care.
Achievements in year 2017 - 2018
- 6000 cataract, tyredium and glaucoma operations / treatments
- 40 surgical missions involving 300 international volunteers and 500 local volunteers
- Brand new dedicated charity hospital for eye, dental and facial surgery build and ready for commissioning Q1 2019
- Pilot study for national diabetic screening programme established with founding sponsors in place
In addition to existing funding, Khmer Sight is looking to raise an additional $200,000. Currently Khmer Sight is run entirely by volunteers with no full-time / paid staff members. Khmer sight is looking to hire:
- 1 full time eye surgeon
- 8 full time theatre nurses
- 1 full time operations manager
This funding would allow the organisation to become properly established and apply for longer-term grant financing for future projects.
- Establish charity with full-time staff so we can apply for grants and increase impact that is made
- Fully functional hospital with permanent staff who offer free surgery to the poor
- Launch diabetic retinal screening programme
- Create more training posts with optometry school - training healthcare professionals in Cambodia.
- Goal 1: $25k
- Goal 2: $50k
- Goal 3: $100k
- Goal 4: $200k
What your donation will buy:
- Surgery $6k pm - $75k for 1 year
- 4 nurses 500 pm each = $25k
- Admin $4k = $50k
- $10 pays for a simple cataract $40 for more complex.
About Khmer Sight
#99 (Level 1), Norodom Blvd corner Street 214
Sangkat Chaktomuk, Khan Daun Penh
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
KHMER SIGHT FOUNDATION
5701 MOPAC EXPRESSWAY SOUTH 311
AUSTIN, TEXAS 78749, UNITED STATES
US Charity Registration
IRC 501C3 (US Public Charity Status 170(b)(1)(A)(vi)
US Bank (if you prefer to make contributions by Bank Transfer)
Account: Khmer Sight Foundation
Routing #: 111000614
Account #: 258960985
- Ammar Syed
- Julie Clifton
- Mandy Hart
- Carl Stuart
- Gerald Epstein
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more