At age 13, my wife was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. During the initial treatment for this disease, the steroids caused her body to stop producing insulin, and therefore, she became a Type 1 Diabetic. So here is a list of medical procedures to explain what has happened since this point.
1. June 1991 – Removal of part of my intestines, appendix (which blew inside out), and 2 grapefruit size abscesses. Also had a Blood transfusion at that time. Was a Code Blue twice during this hospital stay.
2. June 1999 – Removal of part of my intestines and an abscess. Tried drains first but did not work so needed surgery.
3. November 2003 – Removal and resection of part of my intestines and colon. Blood transfusion of 2 units. Also Had 3 abscesses form after surgery. Was then readmitted for them to be drained Nov. 16-26 2003 in hospital. Had a Home Nurse come for about a 7-10 days to give meds thru my Central line I went home with. Also readmitted to hospital Dec. 7-11, 2003 for dehydration, later found out I had 3 liver infarcts.
4. January 2005 – Removal and resection of part of intestines (about 3 inches), removal of old abscess cavity and adhesions. Doctor said there were some hard times during surgery, coded again during surgery.
5. Have had many EGD with MAC & biopsies at FL Hosp. Altamonte by Dr. R Hilal. Last Procedure: March 2018 (I have these every 3 - 4 months as needed)
6. Tonsils removed as a child in the first grade.
7. MRSA surgically removed off buttock
8. Hospitalized in April 2010 for a blood clot in my right arm. (Verified clot gone February 2012. Only in overnight, sent me home on Coumadin and blood thinner shots.)
9. Hospitalized again in May 2010 for about a week with MRSA. Treated with antibiotics in hospital and when I went home. Had a PICC line in when I went home, still pretty sick. Recovered at that time but have had smaller outbreaks during the rest of 2010 and 2011. Have been on and off Zyxox 600mg (which has caused extreme pain leading to a Crohn’s attack).
10. January 2012 – Hospitalized due to pancreatitis attack.
11. January/February 2012 – Hospitalized due to DKA (Diabetic Keto Acidosis). Received multiple blood transfusions. (Anemic), Dr. Verma checked heart functions and valve functions for infection (no infections found)
12. June/July 2012 – (Originally taken to South Seminole Hospital and diagnosed with DKA, mistakenly, then transferred to Fl Hospital Altamonte after suffering an actual DKA due to hospital not administering any insulin while there, blood sugar went to over 700) FL Hospital Diagnosis : 3 strokes that impaired speech and right side strength/motor functions. Received multiple blood transfusions. (Anemic/B-12 deficient), Dr. Verma checked heart functions and valve functions for infection (no infections found) – Was in Intensive Care Unit for this period
13. January 2013 – Hospitalized due to intestinal blockage from Crohn’s Disease, treated with steroids and no surgery was performed. (Follow-up with hematologist (Lukman) in Feb 2013 and had to receive 2 units of blood transfused.)
14. July 2015 – Hospitalized due to stroke. Rushed to FL Hospital Altamonte where they found signs of the stroke in my MRI/CAT Scan tests. Also found scars in scan results due to possible events that happened after June 2012 strokes and this current stroke. Dr. Juan Ros-Escalante (Neurologist) started me on Plavix at this time. Dr. Lukman will be monitoring blood levels.
15. September 2016 – Hospitalized due to stroke. Rushed to FL Hospital Altamonte where they found signs of the stroke in my MRI/CAT Scan tests. Dr. Juan Ros-Escalante (Neurologist) checked results. Dr. Lukman’s team changed Plavix to every day and started me on Zocor every day, will also be monitoring blood levels. Transferred to Health South rehab Oct 6 and was released to home therapy on Oct 28
16. September 2017- Hospitalized due to stroke (TIA). Went to FL Hospital Altamonte ER, CAT scan showed no damage, admitted for 2 days and released.
17. August 2018 - Checked in to ER with infection of left big toe, had been working with podiatrist (Dr. Finkelstein) since June 2018 to fight off the infection, but it became overwhelmed and was too infected to save. Surgery was performed on Aug 31 to remove the Toe and about a third of the connected bone (metatarsal). Currently still in the hospital recovering from this surgery.
Current Medical Problems:
1. Diabetes Type I insulin dependent (Insulin pump) (Diagnosed Nov. 1990)
2. Crohn’s Disease (Diagnosed Sept. 1990) (Surgery in 1991, 1999, 2003 and 2005) (Very bad attack Nov 2007 & Jan 2013)
3. Diabetic Gastroparesis (Diagnosed March 2007) Get food bezoars at times. Need EGD’s on a regular basis.
5. Very, very weak immune system.
6. Ankylosing Spondylitis
7. Have a very fast heart rate, Tachycardia. Been to cardiologist. Heart rate usually not less than 100-110 bpm at resting.
8. Asthma (from childhood) (Broncho Spasms)
9. Severe TMJ from all previous tests and surgeries. Very difficult to open mouth, bad earaches, headaches.
11. Nerve Damage in legs and feet. Two dislocated knee caps from birth. Swelling of feet. Arthritis
12. Major Depression and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Mild Bi-polar.
13. Liver infarcts (Diagnosed in January 2004 after 11/2003 surgery)
15. Eczema and Dermatitis
16. Some deficits due to multiple strokes (6 as of Nov. 2017) (degraded speech, some weakness, impaired vision)
So now the reason for this page. Over the past 15 years, we have done our best to try and keep up with all the medical bills and medical supplies/prescriptions Kelly needs. We have racked up over $60k in credit card debt over this time and are still in collections with quite a few doctors and medical groups. Since Kelly's strokes, her medical costs have gone up quite a bit and its now costing us almost $15k - $20k a year, all going to what medical insurance cannot, or does not, cover. We are now at the point where we can no longer put these bills on credit cards as they are all almost, or completely, maxed out.
We are asking for any help with Kelly's medical costs to get us back to where we can maintain her medical needs.
If you have any direct questions, please feel free to email us.
DonationsSee top donations
- Xavier Gaud
- Dana Guadagnoli
- Angel Garcia
- Carlos A. Quinones-Pastor
- Debbie Geha
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more