Hello friends and family, meet Willy and his heartbreaking story!
Willy is the son of my cousin, Karolina Cano. The reason for this fundraiser is to call on your generosity and sense of philanthropy to help him and his family with doctor's bills, as well as the ability to obtain a robotic glove that would dramatically impact his recovery.
Willy's story is one of extraordinary blessings because today, he is with us; however, it is a very sad and heartbreaking one. Willy is a 15-year-old athlete who plays water polo and swims for the Santander of Bucaramanga league in Colombia. Please take some time to read the remarkable timeline of events below:
- On April 4th, 2022, while at his swimming practice, he had a very intense headache, and when they pulled him out of the pool, he started convulsing. He was rushed to the hospital, where they found out he had a thrombotic stroke or a cerebral Infraction
- He was admitted into the ICU, where 10 days later, he suffered a brain hemorrhage. Because of the inflammation of his brain, doctors had to remove part of his skull, and they stored it in his abdomen to save its tissue, that way, it could be reimplanted when the inflammation went down.
- Willy remained in the ICU for 28 days.
- As a repercussion of the stroke and brain hemorrhage, he suffered paralysis on the left side of his body.
- He was in the hospital until August 2022
Now, Willy is at home and working hard daily for his lengthy and rocky recovery. The part of the skull that was removed still remains in his abdomen; with the help of his rehabilitation team he is begining to walk again. However, he has not regained the use of his left hand, and that is why the doctors recommend the robotic glove to help him with his rehabilitation.
To this day, the doctors do not fully understand what happened. They have done a significant number of tests, and the only thing they have been able to detect is that his body generates thrombosis. One of his thromboses blocked his carotid artery, and as result, he suffered a cerebral infarction.
I know this was a long read, but I thank you for taking the time to read it to understand the reason we are soliciting your generosity. As a parent, I can't imagine being in this situation with one of my kids, and because in Colombia, resources are limited, I decided to start this fundraiser in which all of the funds raised from it will be going to my cousin to help her with medical bills, the purchase of his robotic glove and to help her cope with life.
I thank you for your generosity and kindness. Whatever you can spare would be greatly appreciated and if at this point, a monetary contribution is not doable for you, please share the link and his story.
“It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.”