Masons Cause

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Mason, our 2 year old and youngest of our three boys has been having a rough time.

In reality it all started (we think) on 12/25/14
Mason woke up at 1am on christmas morning vomitting and it continued numerous times over the next few hours. This continued on and off pretty much all of christmas day.

The next day he was seen by his pediatrician and by the looks of the waiting room he wasn't alone.
The place was packed with kids.  It was determined that Mason had what everyone else had (a very bad stomach virus going around) We whre instructed to treat with rest and clear fluids.

We proceeded to follow the instructions we where given however over the next 12 - 24 hours things seem to get worse. The vommiting had become a concern when he began ejecting bile.

We where instructed to get him to the ER to be seen.
We went to the best childrens hospital "Hasbro Childrens" in Providence RI.

Once we whre able to be seen it was deytermined that things where much worse than expected. Mason (who had just turned 2 on 12/10/14 had a ruptured appendix.  It had been that way for a little while and we suspect since 12/25.

He was immediatly admitted however he was so sick that surgery needed to wait till the next morning in order for him to be well enough to undergo an emergency appendectomy. That was on 12/28/14.

Surgery commenced and went well but the next step was waiting.... the hardest thing in the world for a parents with a sick child. Antibiotics where the next course of action for 7-8 days. After which he would be rechecked for progress.

After about 2-3 days complicatioins started. He started vomitting again but it was blood this time. the two days of vommitting bile again. Typical for this procedure. But then he had another vomitting blood episode.

This was the following Sunday. He was going to be scheduled for an ultra sound the next day for his recheck. Well that turned out to be much more involved.

He ended up having an upper endoscopy, a blood clot was found in his esphagus which was causing the bleeding. He also had two large post surgery abscess's that had formed and needed to be drained.

He then ended up recovering for almost a week in the PEDI ICU. Things where going good so he was moved to the 4th floor again for further recovery at which time he ended up with more set backs.

This time it was a paralytic ileus (sleeping bowels) so for the next few days it was very uncomfortable and diffcult to see our little boy just laying there and seem to be going backwards again.  He started to bounce back a bit and started walking and his spirits where getting better.

Unfortunatly his progress has seemed to have stopped and as of the other day it was determined that he had two more abscess's and today he is undergoing yet another surgery to drain them.

Next saturday will make a month in the hospital....

So to make matters worse I had just transitioned jobs back in December and had a 1 month waiting period for my health insurance. So we had a lapse in coverage and we will be looking at some pretty hefty medical bills an alot of red tape for a while.

Any financial help that you or anyone you know could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Please keep Mason in your thoughts and prayers and we hope we will be able to bring out little man home soon.


 See top
  • Anonymous 
    • $50 
    • 75 mos
  • Kristofer Haggarty 
    • $100 
    • 75 mos
  • Michele Nealand 
    • $50 
    • 75 mos
  • Colm Allen 
    • $100 
    • 75 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $100 
    • 75 mos
See all


Chris Ferland 
Woonsocket, RI
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more