In 2016, I found myself in my own time of crisis, when my very new marriage ended brutally and abruptly, and overnight the family life I thought I was going to have disapppeared. Here I was, just months away from turning 40, having to start life over again.
During the months that followed I experienced kindness from friends and strangers alike in a way that I'd never known before, and I began to realize just how lonely my short married life had been.
Two key things underpinned my recovery - the care I received from my colleagues at Blackthorn, and kayaking.
In July 2018 I am bringing these things together, and I will be embarking on a whitewater adventure in France. At the time of writing this I don't own my own kit, and I am a beginner, so I have a lot to learn in a short amount of time.
This isn't just about me, it's about you too, I'm hoping that this will be a community effort - individuals, local businesses, kayaking enthusiasts and enthusiasts in general!
Here's what I need:
1. Sponsorship - kit plus £10,000 for the Blackthorn Trust to continue their valuable work
2. Help planning a route. I'm not great with maps and I need someone who can help me figure out the best waterways to choose
3. A teacher - someone patient and kind who can teach me the techniques I'm going to need to learn
4. Fellow kayakers - people who would like to train with me for moral support and guidance, and even accompany me on the adventure itself
5. Support crew - the plan is to camp all the way along
6. People who would like to offer their time/skills/knowledge for the things that I haven't realised I'm going to need yet!
What's in it for you?
- Blackthorn is all about working together as a community and so is this project. The idea is to bring people together for a common cause, where new friendships are made and experiences are shared
- The intention is to get good press coverage from this project, so whether you are providing sponsorship, donating your time or offering your service, we will give you a big shout out for your generosity!
Finally, I'd like to introduce you to the very talented Jason Dodd, who is photographing the adventure as it unfolds, and is the first official kayak for Blackthorn friend.
Follow my journey on www.kayakforblackthorn.com
DonationsSee top donations
- Riverside Rotary Club
- Jill - Blackthorn Friend
- Samantha Bowden
- Blackthorn Trust Friends
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more