BFA Thesis 2015
Inspired by the universality of tattoo art and body modification, my thesis has been a seven month self exploration of how people change their outer flesh to reflect their inner selves.
The resulting series has been a 6 piece lingerie collection with select ready-to-wear elements and accessories, each accentuating or revealing intimate or unusual parts of the body.
• Look 1: lasercut leather and silk chiffon robe with peekaboo wrapped longline bra and brazilian bottoms
• Look 2: lasercut leather harness, lasercut leather larter and lasercut leather and mesh thong shown with white oversized buttondown 'boyfriend' shirt (image 3)
• Look 3: bronze metal and lasercut leather necklace/chest piece, leather and silk corseted highwaisted bottoms, with silk organza caftan
• Look 4: lasercut leather quarter cup bra, leather and silk waist cincher, leather and lace skirt and silk chiffon shirt
• Look 5: cashmere cardigan over buttondown shirt, mesh panty and lasercut leather back zip up thigh highs
• Look 6: leather t-back strap bra, leather and silk structured jacket and lasercut leather and mesh leggings
The primary focus of this collection has been the implementation of lasercut leather- a high precision technique where high grade leather is cut to look as if it were lace, while maintaining a sexy and dominating edge within the lingerie series. Due to the complex nature of the lace pattern and intricate details of the lace, individual pieces are custom patterned and designed for the unique looks. Many of the pieces can be layered over one another to make a seamless bedroom-to-outwear transition. A substantial portion of the funds will be dedicated towards the purchase and design of quality leather and precision lasercutting.
Other fabrics included in the collection are those used in the luxury intimate brand market:
• silk (chiffon and organza)
• silk/cotton blends for the shirting.
Trims and closures are an integral part to the collection and include:
• metal trims
• corset boning
The bronze necklace will be made in collaboration with another award-winning student at Parsons in the metal workshop.
Upon completion of my thesis in April 2015, I will require a photographer and model to collaborate and design a lookbook and concept video of the final 6 looks. This will then be presented to the judges panel at Parsons the New School for Design with guest critics from the industry and will be sent to future employers.
I look forward to dedicating my every moment to this thesis over the next few months in order to make it my declaration to the fashion and intimates industry.
Any contribution or kind words of support help through this process!
My name is Kathryn Rambo, I am working on my senior thesis at Parsons the New School for Design in New York City. I am a BA/BFA Dual Degree student at The New School: currently earning my BA in Psychology- concentrating in social and sexual psych while simulataneously getting my BFA in Fashion Design. This has opened many doors into the interesting connections between our inner persona and what we choose to present to the world.
Check out my resume, portfolio, recent press and other information at www.kathrynrambo.com !
Follow @kathrynrambony on instagram for inspiration, fittings and development images!
- Jeff Trapani
- Dave Miers
- Becky Clifford
- edward shaughnessy
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more