Hi! I’m a sexual assault survivor working with 5-time Grammy award-winning producer, Devine Evans :) We’re raising funds to complete our sexual assault awareness project which is a combination of his book and my EP. Please read more about our project below!
After a colleague raped his sister, Devine wanted to do something. In 2014, he reached out to hundreds of women in the music industry which led to Sheet Music: Diary of a Songwriter. Through this book and its soundtrack, over 100 of those women shared their experiences with sexual violence. They also shared advice for women entering the arts and entertainment industries.
As they did, I studied music in college. Another student sexually assaulted me, and music helped me report, testify, and fight for justice. After I graduated, I self-produced a sexual assault awareness album and started to release it one song a month. Hurricane Ida stopped me by taking my home, but relocating to Nevada led me to Devine.
With your help, I’ll replace my album with a sexual assault awareness EP. My EP, fully produced by Devine, will feature some of the women from Sheet Music: Diary of a Songwriter. Also, Devine will re-release his book with my story in it. Together, we’ll help women in the music industry, in music schools, and beyond!
Devine works with many of the world’s biggest artists, including Camila Cabello and Janet Jackson! You can learn more about him on his website
Along with being a new artist, I run stopsexualassault.org
with my mom :) You can learn more about me on my website
Excerpts From His Book
- “I pictured a map of the world. Every continent was black. I then envisioned a single light turning on in Southern California. That vision made me wonder if my sister’s story was that one light, how many other lights would it take to make the world see this problem?”
- “We are human, and we all need each other to survive. Men need women, and women need men. The way we treat each other as a whole must change. We must learn to value the roles we all play in each other's lives.”
We raised a lot on our own and with the help of others. Now, we need your help! Below are our remaining costs:
- Printing of Book = $10,000
- Mixing and Mastering of EP = $3,500
- Building of Website = $1,500
TOTAL = $15,000
Thank you for your support! I'll keep you updated here, and you can join my email list
for extra updates :) You can also follow me @musicbymarcelle and Devine @devineevans on social media!