JR and Edie Doyle Support Fund

02.13.19 UPDATE
Tomorrow, JR is scheduled to have an epidural steroid shot in a different area in his spine.  If the pain goes away and comes back after 24 hours, they will schedule the back surgery, replace the degenerative disks, and replace them with a rod.  If the pain does not go away, they are more or less back to square one... again.   On top of all that,  he has been having heart/chest pain episodes for the past month or so. He had an episode this evening and took 3 nitro pills to alleviate the pain, but to no avail (usually he only needs 1).   He had a stress test for his heart last week, and they found an abnormality in his left ventricle. They have schedule him for a heartcathe on Feb. 25 (their wedding anniversary). Problem is, the heartcathe dye makes him go into anaphylaxis. They give him medicine to prevent him from going anaphylactic, but the last time he had a heartcathe, the medicine wore off before the dye was out of his system and he still had an allergic reaction.  

01.04.19 Update
After JR’s consult with the back surgeon back in December, the doctors are still not certain that is what is causing JR’s pain.  There are no new appointments other for pain management and migraine pain management.  Unfortunately, it is now the new year and it is back to paying their deductible...again

Also, Edie’s (JR’s wife) car got hit by a deer on her way to work and totaled her car.  During their process of looking for a car, they got swindled out of $200 of the money they got from the insurance by a small privately owned dealership.  They will hopefully be able to purchase a cheaper but still reliable vehicle and be able to use the remaining money for bills

11.04.18 Update

Friday, JR was experiencing some abdominal pain.  By midnight, he was in so much pain Edie decided to take him to the ER.  It turned out that he had appendicitis and it was slightly ruptured and leaked (gangrene nephritis).  The doctor decided to wait until Saturday morning to perform the appendectomy.  They were hoping he would get to go home Sunday, but he is still feverish from fighting off the infection.  

11.01.18 Update
After JR’s MRI in his lower spine, the doctors discovered that the channel between his L3 and L4 is narrower than it should be.  They believe that this is the cause of all of the pain he has been in because of the added pressure on the nerves.  

Yesterday, he had an Epidural Steroid Injection.  Doctors said that if the pain went away but came back, then they got the right spot, but the steroid is not enough and back surgery would be the next option.  If the pain never subsides at all, the narrow channel is not the cause of his pain and they are back to square one.  If the pain does not come back, then they got the right spot and the steroid was enough.  It would just be a matter of how long the steroid is effective.  

Well, after the procedure, JR noted in his 24-hr pain journal that his pain was a 1-2 and he was able to walk out of the doctor’s office!  However, now it is 24 hours post-procedure and JR is reporting a 5-6 pain level.  Please pray them as they possibly look towards back surgery, but most of all, pray for a miracle!

09.27.18 - JR had an MRI on his lower spine.  They were hoping the doctors could use a previous MRI, but they said it needed to be within the last 6 months. 


J. R. and Edie's relationship has been a whirlwind to say the least.  From the time they met, it has been one event to the other... some bad, some good.  However, they find themselves trudging through some troublesome waters.  Due to the complicated circumstances, I have asked Edie to detail their story as it has unfolded.  

“All his life, J. R. has been a full blown workaholic. He has been a plumber for 22 years. To say the least, his body has been thru a lot. But on August 18th, 2017, things took a turn in his life. He began to have striking pain shooting sporadically down both of his legs and both of his arms ending with tingling in his hands and feet. On August 20th, 2017, Edie (his wife) carried him to Urgent Care that morning due to him being extremely weak, could not walk, in a lot of pain in his hips and down both his legs and having tremors in his right hand and arm. They drew blood and said it would take three to four days for results. He told Edie that he could not wait that long. He knew he needed to get back to work. So they left there and she carried him to Germantown Methodist Hospital. He continued to have pain in both hips going down both legs, pain in both shoulders down both arms, chills with no fever, muscle spasms, and extreme weakness all over his body. The doctor in the ER said he did not know what was going on with him but he was not letting him go home like he was. They checked him over and admitted him that afternoon. While there, he had an MRI of his brain, neck, and spine, and a had a lumbar puncture. They did lots of blood work every day. They could not make a diagnose. He was discharged on Aug. 25th (Friday) basically in the same condition he was in when admitted, only being treated for a migraine he got while there.

Since then J. R. has been to 12 different doctors, 2 of them being at Vanderbilt in Nashville. He has had a second lumbar puncture, MRI on hips and lumbar, second MRI on his spine, X rays of his joints, dozens upon dozens of vials of blood work done, an EMG, injection in both of his hips and a nerve block in his spine. Unfortunately, they have all came back normal. He has had numerous medications prescribed for pain all with no effect. He has been told that as a patient he is an enigma, a mystery. Because of his condition, he is on a walker for short distances and in a wheelchair for long distances.

To top of this off, he has not been able to work this whole time (over a year) and has lost his insurance through his work, thankfully to be picked up by his wife’s insurance. Only drawback...... having to meet his deductible all over again. He fights to do all he can do which is not much at all and this also causes him to fight with depression and anxiety a lot.”

In addition to this, Edie discovered that she was pregnant several weeks after J.R.'s initial symptoms.  She gave birth to a beautiful baby girl Jaidyn on June 12, 2018.  While pregnant and even now, it has been a struggle for both of them physically and financially.  

I (Amanda, Edie’s sister) ask that you pray for this sweet sweet couple, that the doctors will be able to find out what is going on with J. R.’s body or for God to heal his body completely.  

Pray for Edie and Jaidyn. 

We are thankful for the family members and friends that have lent a hand (rides to doctors appointments, cutting the grass, building a ramp, watching Jaidyn).  

Please prayerfully consider supporting J. R. and Edie Doyle.
  • Shirley Rakestraw 
    • $50 
    • 27 mos
  • Sandra Brown 
    • $50 
    • 27 mos
  • Jessica Braly  
    • $50 
    • 27 mos
  • Stephanie Bass 
    • $50 
    • 29 mos
  • Jessica Naylor Childers 
    • $30 
    • 29 mos
See all

Organizer and beneficiary

Amanda Johnston Perkins 
Collierville, TN
Evelyn Doyle 
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more