These funds will be used to help financially assist Mark Hunter and family; our beloved friend and father of SGT Jonathon Hunter.
U.S. Army Sgt. Jonathon Michael Hunter, 23, the son of Mark Hunter of Columbus, died as a result of a suicide car bomb while providing security during his first deployment. Jonathon was one of two American soldiers killed during a suicide bombing attack on their NATO convoy.
Mark's family is loved by so many. On behalf of myself and all of Mark's classmates at Columbus East High School, we would like to honor Jonathon by creating this gofundme site to financially help Mark and his family at this difficult time. Any sort of donation would be greatly appreciated. Mark is the beneficiary of these funds. Remember, this is about honoring Jonathon.
Several have asked, 'why are we doing this?' We have discussed many options. Here are a few that are being considered:
1) a scholarship for a high school student whose interests are football and ROTC. The scholarship would be in Jonathon's honor and sponsored by the Columbus East Class of 1976.
2) when Jonathon's funeral is held, there might be out-of-town family that would like to attend that require financial assistance with travel.
3) Mark works in sales, and could suffer a loss in wages. That's what these funds are for.
4) a donation to the Fallen Soldier Fund in Jonathon's honor.
Several have asked, 'why you and the class of 1976? Here's why...our class was close, family-like close. We still are close. Mark and I have been best friends since we were 5 years old. So, when one of our own needs help, we answer the call.
Jonathon joined the Army on April 8, 2014. He was serving with the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborn Division in Ft. Bragg, North Carolina. He earned his Expert Infantryman Badge late last year, and more recently had been promoted to sergeant. Jonathon Hunter married Whitney Michelle Hunter on Oct. 15, 2016, and was deployed to Afghanistan about a month ago, on July 1.
DonationsSee top donations
- Amanda Sides
- Mark and Diane Ebling
- Cheryl Cruz
- Dave & Nanette (Jones) Willoughby
- Terry and Monique Hayes
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more