On Christmas Eve morning my sister, Jo, awoke to smoke. The first miracle is that she woke up at all. She went downstairs and saw black smoke engulfing her kitchen and living room. She called for her daughter, Chloe who was home from college and there was no response. She ran upstairs and tried to wake her. She finally aroused but kept saying she couldn't move. The second miracle was the strength my sister was infused with to drag her daughter down a flight of stairs and get her outside. My sister went back in to get their dog Rosebud and now the stairs had black smoke. She found the dog and then fell down the stairs where she only gashed her leg, the third miracle. All they had on were their pajamas. She lives in Milwaukee, WI where it is cold with snow on the ground.
Many people have come forward with clothes and to help them salvage anything worth saving and it is humbling and my entire family thanks you!
Yesterday the pipes burst. There is no heat or electricty and I was shocked - and grateful - they got out after seeing some of the pictures.
Insurance will help them rebuild. I am asking for help for their deductible and other small needs that insurance will not cover. Any amount will help - things at the Dollar Store & Walmart go a long way!
I believe The Spirit was with them. I believe it is a miracle they are alive. Hug your family a little closer today and don't wait one more day to say you love them!
- Robert Hansen
- Amelia Smith
- Erin Broderick
Organizer and beneficiary
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more