Previously she had been an anti-appartheid activist and HIV/AIDS treatment activist (Treatment Action Campaign/TAC) over the last 40+ years. She has put herself on the front-line of society's most pressing issues. She is also a mother of two children: one in university and a 9 year old daughter. Fighting for others has been her life.
One year ago she was diagnosed with cancer (she already is anAIDS survivors). Now she has spent her life savings on cancer treatment because it is so expensive. She can no longer even pay her monthly health insurance which only covers part of the cancer treatment. She wants to continue campaigning for others, but she needs our help to beat the cancer.
For decades she fought for others. Its time we fight for her.
In asking her if I could run this campaign and make user story public, she said "I do not think the campaign should only focus on me. But my story should also bring issue of cost for cancer treatment in Africa. Why do we have to struggle to survive. Why should we always find means to save ourselves."
Fix the Patent Laws campaign
Accoding to MSF/Doctors Without Borders, South Africa has some of the highest medicine prices in the world. Cancer medicines especially are egregiously expensive. This campaign seeks to change that.
If you or someone you know is in South Africa and having trouble accessing medicine, consider completing this survey (anonymous option) to help provide evidence for the campaign.
I want to raise money to:
- Pay for her monthly medical insurance ( £140 / R2415 each month) - I've already paid for Feb & March
- Get a second opinion of her cancer diagnosis in the UK (she doesn't fully trust the public system in South Africa)
- Pay for more cancer treatment (to which she was responding well when she could afford it) at £2200 / R38000 per treatment
..and if there is enough (and she is storng and willing):
- have a film crew shadow her to tell her story and the story of millions of women left to suffer and die when they can't afford healthcare
- bring her to the UK (and beyond) for a second opinion, possibly treatment and to help tell her story
Other help is needed:
I need volunteers and ideas to help run and promote this.
I know this campaign will also raise her spirits as she has been felling powerless about her situation. Let's show her what the power of solidarity can do.
Other help received:
- Mara Kardas-Nelson, now a researcher with MSF/Doctors Without Borders in South Africa (and former TAC colleague) has been in touch to get Johanna involved in the South Africian "Fix the Patent Laws" campaign and help with medical aid funding
- Joanne Finnegan has donated a painting for auction to help raise funds (the Matterhorn one with the bright colours similar to the South Afrian flag's colours).
- Clare Lucas
- Alfredo Botti
- Jayde Bradley
- Charlotte Fitzgerald
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more