Jim and Carol Bicking Family Fund

They had been trying to have another child for about 5 years on our own. Then Carol had multiple abnormal yearly checks which turned into something more serious (adenocarcinoma cells) and she had that removed. Although it was still recommended that Carol have a hysterectomy. So we tried fertility treatment first. We were thrilled to finally see a positive after so many failed cycles of treatment. Even more thrilled to find out that we were having twins!

The pregnancy has been rough, carol had an emergency laparoscopy at 9 weeks where they found her ovary twisted and there was an ectopic triplet. Carol had to have her right tube removed with the ectopic pregnancy. She recovered and returned to work. At a doctor appointment at the beginning of October they discovered Carol had dilated 1cm and they needed to place a rescue cerclage. She stayed in the hospital 2 nights and rested at home for a week before returning to work again.

Shortly after all of that towards the end of October Jim went to the emergency room because he was coughing up blood. He was in the hospital for 9 days, while he was there they found his heart was failing and only working at 20%. They started him on heart failure meds and diuretics to get his water weight down. He went home and back to work as much as he could. He was still having troubles with breathing. He went back in the hospital in the beginning of December where they found 3 huge blood clots in his right leg, one clot in each lung and a clot in the left side of his heart. He had spent 3 nights in the ICU on IV blood thinners and went home on oral thinners. During this hospital stay they found his heart function dropped to 17% so he followed up with his heart failure team who decided he needed more advanced therapies. So we went to the Med Center before Christmas and had a long discussion with a doctor there and they wanted to get him in ASAP for a heart cath which they did 2 days after Christmas. During the cath they found his heart was too sick to leave the hospital. They started him on iv meds for his heart and changed up all of his other medications. They decided to put a defibrillator in so he could go home safely on this iv medication. He stayed in the hospital for 2 weeks and now has visiting nurses. Jim hasn’t worked since Dec. 7. Doctors said his heart was too sick to work. And he can’t work now while recovering from the defibrillator. Doctors are saying he may need an LVAD to get him by until he is eligible for a heart transplant.

During all of this Carol had been experiencing some contractions. They admitted her once before Christmas and gave her meds to stop contractions and steroid shots to help the babies. She went home after 2 nights and was able to help Jim during his stay in the hospital.

The day after Jim was released, Carol was again admitted with more premature labor and the plan is to keep her for a couple of weeks.

We have applied for assistance in every way we can, but there’s still a lot of other things to cover. We appreciate any help, whether  you give, share this, or just send us some positive thoughts. We appreciate it all!

Donations (0)

  • Lisa Leonard 
    • $50 
    • 2 mos
  • Jerry Rachwalik 
    • $100 
    • 8 mos
  • Jane Bennett 
    • $50 
    • 9 mos
  • Chari J. Coufal-Berringer 
    • $100 
    • 9 mos
  • Craig Smith  
    • $100 
    • 9 mos
See all


Kris Coufal Bicking 
Omaha, NE
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more