Bill Horney's Funeral Costs

Our Dad, Bill Horney, passed away on January 5, 2015. He was 4 days shy of his 59th birthday, and had been struggling on and off for a few years with MRSA, a type of intense staph infection. He was diabetic. He had heart disease. But he was a man of loyalty who loved endlessly, and we always knew he cared.

Bill was a friend to many in the Talbot County community, having been born and raised in Easton. In his teens he was a regular in St. Mark's youth group, where he learned to love the Lord. He found inspiration in helping others. In his twenties he joined the Easton Volunteer Fire Department, where his desire to help others finally found purpose.

He helped to raise four children; three boys and a girl, and was a believer in family. We became strong and tight-knit because of our parents, who let us make mistakes, learn, and love quite limitless. We could not have asked for a better father.

In the last few years of his life, Bill endured several illnesses and surgeries, and came to feel the burden of medical bills. His constant worry caused worry in his children as well. Attempting to become better was beginning to become impossibly expensive, but Bill did his best and pushed on, despite the unpaid bills. If he'd had the money, he would have paid them all. He just never quite had enough. He never was a man of money, or materialistic things. Dad only cared for his family, and his family never went without.

Having Type II Diabetes contributed to our father's illness. MRSA entered the body through a small diabetic ulcer on his foot, and was treated multiple times. Unfortunately, the bacteria was never fully removed from his body. And in November of 2013, our dad became paralysed from the waist down, due to a large amount of infection in his spinal column. And the man we knew to be independent and hard working was stopped in his tracks.

He did not return home until May of 2014. His stay in a rehabilitation center had been ended by insurance. Dad came home and tried his best to adjust to his new life. He found it difficult and at times, depressing, but did his best to stay positive and hopeful. His faith became a daily motivator. 
Dad continued to have fever and chills, and had himself admitted to the hospital in December of 2014. It was there that he sat his children down and said this:
"I want to die with dignity...I want to go somewhere to die."

And we sent our Dad to Talbot Hospice.

Hospice has done wonderful, wonderful things for our family in the past, but this meant more to us than ever before. Dad passed away there, peacefully and comfortably, no longer having to worry about those monsterous medical bills. 
However, we still worry about them.

We are asking for donations from our loving community to help pay for Bill Horney's funeral costs. It would be one less bill to worry about, and Fellows, Helfenbein, and Newnam funeral home did such a beautiful job for us that we would love to pay them back. Funerals are expensive, and we were not as prepared as we wanted to be. 

We are asking for small donations, and cannot thank you all enough. From the bottom of our hearts, we are grateful for all who give, and all who understand the hardship associated with the loss of a close loved one. 

We pray daily for our loss, and thank all who have provided comfort.

Rest Peacefully, Dad.


 See top
  • Anonymous 
    • $20 
    • 76 mos
  • Ryan Bianchi 
    • $50 
    • 76 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $50 
    • 76 mos
  • Dana and Mary Jane Meintzer 
    • $250 
    • 76 mos
  • Weems Brothers 
    • $250 
    • 76 mos
See all


Mollie Horney 
Easton, MD
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more