I lost my beloved son, Devin, to a drug overdose on February 4, 2018. He celebrated his 32nd birthday just a few months prior while in rehab. This project, INTO LIGHT, became a way for me to process my personal pain, anger and the deep wrenching sadness I carry. It is also a way to ease the pain and connect others who have experienced a similar loss. Through art, INTO LIGHT will honor and celebrate the lives of those who have died from drug addiction, rather than to have them forever defined by the cause of their deaths.
The title of the project embodies its mission. It is my hope that the project will serve to alleviate the stigma surrounding drug addiction and bring to light the victims’ lives, rather than the darkness surrounding their deaths. It is my goal to draw fifty (50) original framed graphite portraits of individuals who have lost their lives to drug addiction as well as to produce an accompanying narrative about each of the loved ones.
Both the artwork and the narrative will be displayed in a gallery setting and open to the public later this year. The exhibition will provide not only a viewing place, but also a forum for sharing stories and support. Each family will be gifted the original framed portrait of their loved one as well as a catalogue of the fifty drawings, accompanied by the written narrative of their family member's personality, talents and accomplishments.
INTO LIGHT will launch Fall 2019 in Baltimore, Maryland (where Devin died). It is my hope that the project will be replicated in cities around the country. Fifty more portraits will be produced in each location -- 50 more people who have been loved and lost. Planning is in process for Portland, Oregon 2020.
How will your donations be used?
· Production, matting and framing of 50 original graphite portraits produced by Theresa Clower
· Professionally written and produced narrative booklet that will include meaningful information about each of the loved ones along with their drawn image
· Rental of gallery space for 2-3 weeks
· Professional installation of the exhibition
· Opening reception
· Administration of the project Please join me in support of INTO LIGHT. Contributions can be made in someone’s honor in the comments section of GoFundMe and will be listed in the catalog. The project has been set up as a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization (IRS status pending).
For more information call Theresa Clower at 302-455-9595 or visit our website at intolightproject.org
Examples of some of the graphite drawings produced as part of the exhibition in Baltimore can be seen below.
With family consent, from top to bottom: Cory, Ashlie, Randy, Mariah