Max was a beloved son, brother, friend. And so much more. He touched lives in a unique way. He lite up any room he walked into. At 19 he was such an intelligent young man. He will forever remain with us in our hearts and spirit.
On June 22nd Max was having an on and off cough which was believed to be an asthma exacerbation. Max also had a severe peanut allergy since birth. He had Chinese for dinner that night which was undisclosed by that specific restaurant that the food was cooked in peanut oil. Max began not feeling well and was having a hard time breathing. He then self administered 2 epi pens. It is believed during that time Max vomited and aspirated. Max then became unresponsive 911 was called and our dad had to perform CPR. The course of this in medically terminology is that he went into respiratory failure which caused cardiac arrest. EMS arrived and performed CPR on the way to the hospital. They tried to intubate in route however his lungs had been so full they were having a hard time ventilating. On arrival to the emergency room they were able to clean out his lungs and place him on a ventilator. Max was also placed on a treatment called ECMO which is a prolonged life support specifically for the cardiac and respiratory system that are unable to adequately provide gas exchange. The doctors had said Max suffered from an anoxic brain injury related to the lack of oxygenation while he was in route to the hospital. Max was on the machines through the night and he then coded around 0300 on June 23rd. The hospital staff did everything they could to save him but Max did not make it through.
Please send thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. This is an extremely difficult time for everyone who was part of our dear Max’s life.