Your donation will help to set up The Bartolas Institute as a federally approved 501c(3) non-profit that can best meet qualifications for paperwork that my for-profit business (Onyx Family Farms) cannot, and through The Bartolas Institute I will be able to bring Federal Grant moneys to these two markets, and nutrition education and fresh fruit options to our local school children.
The Bartolas Institute will become a vocational agricultural education entity that will:
1. host the Kernville & Ridgecrest markets as certified farmers' markets, thus attracting more potential farmers.
2. provide options for EBT (CalFresh) and FMNP WIC & Senior checks at the markets.
3. bring Federal USDA and Rural Development grant monies to our Kern River & Indian Wells Valley communities to grow options for affordable, wholesome, organic, locally-grown foods; educate students on good nutrition, help schools with their school food options, and generally promote the overall wellness our these communities through education and agriculture.
4. create paid summer and year-round internships for local high school students
5. create paid apprenticeships for adults persuing farmers' market management training, diversified small farmer training, and sales & marketing training for entreprenuers.
Your donations will specifically go to me to pay for the various permits, application fees, etc. involved with creating the non-profit, and transfering ownership of the markets to the non-profit. I've proven myself trustworthy to the community and to specific folks, I hope that y'all can see the importance of trusting me once more and donating to this cause.
I need these funds to be raised ASAP. If I can raise at least $1,000 in the next few days that will be most important to keeping the markets alive and starting the transfer process, but the rest needs to be raised to complete the process.
It is my intent to become president of The Bartolas Institute and I will solicit for other board members. As a board member I cannot receive payment from the charity; rather my board and I will find a suitible person to pay to be the Market Manager of the farmers' markets and various other details. I am currently going into a full-time teaching position as a 7th grade teacher at South Fork Union School District so I will have a secure income for my personal needs. And as an educator and board president I will continue to lead the charge and be instrumental in attaining the above-mentioned goals.
- Marilyn LeMieux
- Jenna Stanek
- Jill Donald
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more