Dear friends and supporters
It is now nearly a year since the devastating earthquakes on 25 April and 12 May last year. Work is slowly beginning on the rebuilding and repairs, however unfortunately with the blockade on the Nepal-India border it has been hard to get the materials needed so rebuilding and repairs have been much slower than hoped. An estimated costs of repairs to IBA is below:
US$ amounts are based on an average exchange rate of US$1 = NRs100. One lakh = 100,000 Rupees1. Estimated costs are:
1. Main shrine room ceiling (work started) (18 lakh) US$18,000 (work on the Shrine Room has now been completed).
2. Boundary wall (work started) (8 lakh) US$8,000 (work on the boundary wall has now been completed as a matter of urgency as it was a public access lane)
3. Main gate reconstruction (30 lakh) US$30,000
4. Repair of half the courtyard verandah (12 lakh) US$12,000
5. Rebuilding of inner entrance gate (9 lakh) US$9,000 (work on the new entrance gate is nearly completed)
6. New pillars to be built to separate buildings from each other (7 lakh) US$7,000
7. Replace solar water heating tanks and panels
(6 lakh) US$6,000
8. Plumbing repairs (4 lakh) US$4,000
9. Electrical system repairs (5 lakh) US$5,000
10. Repairing all cracked walls and plaster (7 lakh) US$7,000
11. Repairing 5 support columns (5.5 lakh) US$5,500
12. Retro fitting two badly damaged buildings
(dorm block and library/office block) (180 lakh) US$180,000
13. Guttering (11 lakh) US$11,000
14. Painting (8 lakh) US$8,000
Total (310.5 lakh) US$310,500
Allowing for miscellaneous unforeseen repairs, as well as for underestimating the actual costs, the final total may be around US$400,000. IBA depends on the generous donations of our friends and supporters and we ask if you could kindly email: [email redacted]
with any enquiries on the repair and reconstruction of IBA.
We are extremely grateful to the generosity of everyone making donations - we have a long way to go in raising funds for the rebuilding and repairs but every dollar helps. Without your ongoing generosity we would be unable to carry out these works. Please continue to make any donations, large or small, as it will probably take years to complete all the works. Thank you.