Hurricane Fiona is causing damage to Puerto Rico that will last for quite a while. If we move fast enough, we can immediately impact how long it will have on the people of Puerto Rico. I'm reaching out to friends and the entertainment industry to help with the on-the-ground efforts in Puerto Rico. After working on past disaster situations in Puerto Rico, I feel that we can put together the right team and be on the ground within the next week and a half with supplies for those impacted.
As with any disaster or humanitarian effort, we will need your support through donations. If you can't donate, please spread the word and pass this information on to someone else.
Please read below for more on my history with this kind of work.
Richard "Crazy Legs" Colon
Richard “Crazy Legs” Colón is a Bronx-born Puerto Rican dancer, educator and pioneer recognized and respected globally for his Hip Hop and humanitarian contributions. Described as the most iconic Latino figure in Hip Hop history, Colón is the longtime President of the legendary dance group Rock Steady Crew and founder of Backspin Productions. Backspin Productions has produced annual Rock Steady Crew Anniversaries in New York City and now PRS FEST in Puerto Rico. He also created Rock Steady For Life, an organization created in the devastating aftermath of Hurricane Maria and committed to providing relief to the people of Puerto Rico. Since September 2017, Colón’s relief efforts have:
• Provided 195,000+ people all over the island with access to clean drinking water, in partnership with Waves For Water and Red Bull
• Provided 3000 solar lamps to inland areas and the deaf community on the island, in partnership with MPOWERD
• Provided hygienic supplies, basic meds and antibiotics to families on the island
• Raised funds for the purchase of solar power for the Boys & Girls Club of Puerto Rico, in partnership with The 86 Company
• Donated funds to El Departameto de la Comida, Visit Rico and Pura Emuna to support sustainable local agriculture and food sovereignty
• Helped facilitate over 900,000 lbs. of relief good and supplies to the west side of island
• Provided 650+ new toys and games used for rehabilitation to children with disabilities and autism at SER de Puerto Rico, whose toys were destroyed due to flooding after the hurricane
• Been featured on CNN, ABC World News Now, NBC New York, Fox 5 New York, Fox News, Fox Business, NPR, Good Day New York, Huffington Post, Red Bull TV and more
In 2018, Colón has been honored as Ambassador of the National Puerto Rican Day Parade, and is the recipient of the esteemed Hispanic Heritage Award For Culture. He is also on the coveted panel of judges for the 2018 Youth Olympics in Buenos Aires.
Throughout his career Colón has also received Comite Noviembre’s Puerto Rican Heritage Award, VH1’s Hip Hop Honors Award, Ronald McDonald House Charities Lifetime Achievement Award and many, many more.
He is a distinguished member of the Cornell University Hip Hop Collection Advisory Board and is featured in the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History and National Museum of African American History and Culture.
He was also featured on CNN’s United Shades of America to speak about the economic state of Puerto Rico—and how he’s using his name and influence to bring money and exposure to the island through PRS FEST Puerto.
- Jose Stevenson
- Peter Scott
- Jessenia Velazquez
- Laurie Smith
Fundraising team (5)
Raised $11,435 from 108 donations
Jersey City, NJ
Raised $1,710 from 4 donations
Raised $300 from 2 donations
Raised $110 from 2 donations
Raised $90 from 3 donations
This team raised $25,763 from 413 other donations.