The Humboldt and District SPCA Inc. in Humboldt, Saskatchewan urgently requires your support.
The Humboldt SPCA has been an important and vital part of the community and surrounding areas for over 13 years. It all began with a few kind-hearted people who wanted a safe place for the stray, abandoned, and neglected animals in the area that were left to fend for themselves. They rented a building, bought a few kennels, and with that the SPCA was born. For the SPCA’s entire existence, it has been in the same rented facility. Kennels were built as funds allowed and the staff and volunteers have made it work. They now take in animals from as far north as Beauval, SK as they try never to deny an animal in need; however, because of their present location, they cannot help as many as they would wish.
The Humboldt and District SPCA follows a No-Kill philosophy. It is a registered non-profit organization and relies entirely on fundraising and donations to remain open.
Since it began operations, the SPCA’s mission has been to be in its own building, with modern amenities to properly provide for the animals, and bring in its own income with boarding facilities, grooming services, and the space to offer basic pet necessities for new parents to get their newest family member started off right. This new building would allow the SPCA to operate independently and not continuously rely on community support. It would also allow them to help more animals than they currently are able to take in.
The current rented SPCA building lacks many necessities that would benefit not only the animals, but the staff and volunteers as well.
Some examples (but not all) of the current inadequate conditions are:
- There is no separate entrance to the isolation unit. Staff have to be extra diligent with cleaning and sanitizing when new animals are received in case of disease as these animals have to walk through the main doors of the facility, which could compromise the health of the rest of the animals in the building.
- There are no on-site laundry facilities. All laundry must be taken to a business who deals with laundry services for a regular fee.
- There are no wash sinks for the items requiring regular washing and sanitizing. Staff have improvised using Rubbermaid containers.
- Medium and large-sized dogs cannot be bathed as no grooming area available. Small dogs and puppies are bathed in Rubbermaid containers.
- The isolation area only has very small cat kennels because of lack of square footage.
- There are no proper storage areas.
Why am I reaching out to you now?
This facility has outlived and served its purpose for 13 years. It is now time to push forward and get this wonderful organization into their own building. Building fundraisers have been going on for years, but thanks to a very generous estate donation recently, they are now in a position that they can see this building in the near future. I am asking, on behalf of the Board of Directors of the Humboldt SPCA, for your help to get them through to the last stretch.
Remember: No donation is ever too small!
Thank you for helping us to continue to serve our communities and others by providing the care needed to those animals less fortunate. The animals, staff, volunteers, and Board of the Humboldt and District SPCA appreciate your anticipated support.
- Glenn Hepp
- Crystal Clarke
- Jaime Hepp
- Malcolm and Carol Eaton
- Stacy Kirk
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more