Hope For Cash The Doberman

Funds Raised by this campaign will go directly to Cash's surgery costs and supply cost for continued post surgical care. (Full invoivces pending upload.) 

This page was loving created by Cash's devoted family to share his progress of his Ventral Slot surgery preformed on September 15h, 2017 and rehabilitation. Please support Cash by donating to his cost of care or by sharing his story. Every bit helps! Cash has touched the hearts of many as his mom has been within the animal field for ten years. Cash has gotten the opportunity to have a great extended family whom have now turned into cheer leaders for a safe and speedy recovery. 
Cash is a 7 year old Doberman, whom is full of love and character. He has been in the family since he was just weeks old. "When a dog saves a life and you get the opportunity to pay it forward; you do it." Cash may be "just a dog" to some, but to us he is so much more. If people call us "crazy" for supporting him, then so be it. On 09/14/17 Cash awoke frantically and collapsed, all four of his legs were stiff. He managed to crawl a bit, yet collapsed again. He was rushed to his primary veterinarian for an exam and was immediately referred and transported to a emergency specialist. Hours were spent in an exam room. At first Wabblers Disease was the diagnosis and surgery was his best option. He was deemed temporarily paralyzed, but was not in apparent pain. We were at the cross roads of euthanasia or surgery. Of course anyone in this position would reflect on the potential quality of life. We occupied this exam room for hours, a mix of emotions and fears. We couldn't decide then and there, after all these hours. We felt it was unfair to keep an exam room occupied from another pet in need so we hospitalized Cash for the evening to reflect further. We concluded that euthanasia would guarantee no further suffering, but it would also eliminate a potential chance for him. If we proceeded with the surgery he could walk again and have a semi-normal life or he could suffer. Either route could be unfair. Since Cash has had no preexisting health issues and this occurred suddenly it increased his odds. As a condition hasn't been allowed to progress and hinder him further overtime. However his older age was of concern. There are so many variables that could and could not happen. We decided to get him to get him x-rays and an MRI, both in which would tell us what we were looking at / if he is a surgical candidate. If he wasn't, we had to be prepared to say goodbye. His MRI results showed that he has disc disease which has caused a disc to rupture / shift into his spine causing the temporary paralysis. If this disc debris were to be removed via Ventral Slot surgery he can walk again and the prognosis seems "fair." Fair meaning he could have a healthy life, he will walk again (within time.) However his is a large breed dog which can hinder his recovery. The MRI also showed a disc close to the disc in question that is deteriorating as well. This disc couldn't be surgically removed or altered because it could cause the spine to collapse. However his prognosis was still on the up and up. His surgery success rate was scaled from 60%-70%. A typical average score for a dog of his age and size. There is no crystal ball that could give us certainty, oh how we wish there was. Over the past two days, we've met with so many doctors, specialists, surgeons, neurological specialists and more. We ultimately decided to press for hope and get Cash the Ventral Slot surgery to remove the disc debris and unblock his spine to allow him to regain movement. He is to remain hospitalized after surgery for 3-4 days if there are no complications. He could regain mobility just weeks after surgery. He would have to be on bed rest and have full home care over the next few weeks post surgery and full recovery can range from 3-6 months. We understood all the pros and cons of this and felt that we needed to give him this chance. We guarantee it was a difficult decision. The surgery started at 4pm and ended at 8pm on 09/15/17 we received a report that he had minimal blood loss, they removed the disc debris in question and his spine looks healthy. In addition he is showing great neurological signs thus far. He is now resting comfortably at the hospital and will be starting his recovery process. These past two days have been weighing on our hearts and the ones whom have had the opportunity to meet him, but we are happy with our choice to give him a second chance at life. Through all this he still would perk his head up to give kisses and was so loving to all the veterinarian staff. In all my years of working with animals, I have not met a more gentle giant than our Cash as bias as that may sound coming from his dog mom. 
Please keep Cash in your thoughts  <3 Thank you for your love & support.

{We kindly request that the content of this page to be uplifting and pawsitive. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and perceptions on things; however we kindly request if you have a negative mindset in regards to our efforts for Cash to please keep them to yourself as it will not be productive to admins time and Cash's progress.}

Please keep Cash in your thoughts  <3 Thank you for your love & support.

For Daily Updates on Cash's progress please like his page: 

www.facebook.com/hopeforcashthedobe





Donations ()

  • Alejandra Martinez 
    • $10 
    • 29 mos
  • Lucille Harvey 
    • $50 
    • 29 mos
  • Jess Budde 
    • $5 
    • 29 mos
  • Tracy Lystra 
    • $500 
    • 30 mos
  • Katherine Gass 
    • $50 
    • 30 mos
See all

Organizer

Natalie Cornwell 
Organizer
Lake Elsinore, CA
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more