As pretty much everyone knows by now, the little community of Mexico Beach was almost completely obliterated by Hurricane Michael on Wednesday morning .
My wonderful grandmother has lived in Mexico Beach since she retired. She’s not a snowbird, she doesn’t have any other residence. Neither does my aunt, who lived with my grandmother and helped care for her. This beautiful little place wasn't a vacation getaway; it was a home and a refuge from the world. Decades of treasured memories were swept away in an instant. Their car was totaled as well (carried off in the storm) and they have no means of transportation. We hope insurance will cover most of the house, but much of what was inside was irreplaceable.
They have lost everything, and their sole income is social security and disability. Even before the storm they struggled month to month to make ends meet. To make matters worse, just before the storm, my grandmother had an accident which requires several weeks of rehab from which she has not yet recovered, and medical bills are piling up.
I am just asking for anything you can do to help. I’ll be happy to provide photos or answer questions, whatever I can do to prove this is legit. Please - if you can - help two elderly women recover from this catastrophe, anything you can do would be appreciated. I really don’t know what we’ll do without help.
This was her home before the storm, and below, what's left - the empty lot and street stripped bare.
For transparency: GoFundMe requires me to add some details for verification
- My name is Rebekah Reed-Meier. I am originally from Texas and currently live in Arkansas.
- This fundraiser is for my grandmother, Clay Boykin, who resided at 110B 37th St in Mexico Beach, FL, prior to Hurricane Michael
- The funds raised here will be used to pay the deductible for my grandmother’s homeowner’s insurance. If insurance does not cover the loss of the home, or if there are more funds raised than needed for the deductible, the money would be used to replace necessities such as clothing and medicine.
- The money is to be withdrawn and placed in a checking account in my grandmother’s name. My mother, Lea Reed, is also the administrator of this account and is my grandmother’s legal power of attorney.
DonationsSee top donations
- Michael Zollinger
- Sharron Morgan
- Tim Daneliuk
- Josh Gillespie
- Jennifer Burkhartcostello
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more