We are the Santa Barbara Wildlife Care Network. Last night we got the news that a fire had broken out a block from ourWildlife Care Center. Immediately, our staff and volunteers jumped to action and raced to the center.
- Almost every animal at our center was saved: 390 animals are safely in care.
- The center still stands, but has been scorched around the edges. We have lost trees, vegetation, and there is quite a bit of burnt plastic and heaps of ash.
- We are currently housing and caring for all our non-pelagic birds in a room of the Santa Barbara Humane Society.
- A few of our volunteers risked their lives to save the animals in our care. Without these amazing people, many lives would have been lost.
WHAT DO WE NEED?
We need donations to provide for the following:
- Supplies, medicines, and food for animals in our care
- Repair damaged enclosures, infrastructure, and systems
- Generator to provide power to the center
- The center's water bill, which will be high as we clean the property of burnt plastic and ash, and empty and refill sea bird ponds
- Cleaning supplies and manpower to make the center habitable again
- Replanting of vegetation at the Center
- Increased staff hours due to the emergency and rebuilding effort
YOUR DONATION SAVES LIVES! Thank you for caring about wildlife in this trying time. Please spread the word!
We must be prepared for whatever comes our way -- please help us stay resilient and responsive to the needs of wildlife.