The restoration of Hodson's Folly

A brief history of Hodon's Folly...

1868 - John Hodson, a butler at Pembroke College, bought the land with his uncle. It was originally used as a working garden and for fishing.

1896  - The Folly was built, complete with Hodson’s coat of arms. The garden became a place of leisure where Hodson would sit and watch his daughter swimming in the river.

1900 -  John Hodson lost his fortune in the notorious Whitaker Wright railway scam.

1901 -  The Garden was sold to local brewer Frederick Dale, who used the space to entertain friends and guests while watching rowing and punting on the river.

1936 -  The Council obtained the land and it became part of Coe Fen.

2014 - The Folly was vandalised and graffitied and has now fallen into disrepair.

2016 - Carter Jonas launches restoration of the Folly.

With it's interesting and varied history, the Folly is a unique Cambridge landmark.

We want to create a beautiful community space in the heart of the city, for all to enjoy.

Carter Jonas has kick started the fund with a donation of £1,000.

Help us reach our target of £16K and let's preserve this piece of Cambridge history for another 120 years.

All funds raised will go towards the restoration of the Folly.

Donations (0)

  • Valerie Roy 
    • £10 
    • 7 d
  • Bev . 
    • £10 
    • 2 mos
  • Friends of Carter Jonas . 
    • £125 
    • 2 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • £10 
    • 2 mos
  • Attendees to Music by The River 23 ... 
    • £276 
    • 2 mos

Organizer 

Carter Jonas, who are leading the restoration project 
Organizer
Cambridge, East of England, United Kingdom
  • #1 fundraising platform

    People have raised more money on GoFundMe than anywhere else. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case that something isn’t right, we will refund your donation. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more