Big news - Hilda the Dragon is expecting! Her not-yet-hatched baby dragon will be safely nestled in its giant 6-foot-tall egg on the front lawn throughout October 2023.
Illustration of baby dragon reading a book
Photo of dragon egg art installation in front of library building, October 2023
A beloved community art installation, Hilda is a feisty dragon who perched on the Westerville Public Library’s roof in October to celebrate the Wizards & Wands Festival from 2019-2022. (She is currently on maternity leave and will not be on display in 2023.)
Photo of Hilda the Dragon on display in 2021
Originally intended as a temporary feature, the Ohio climate has been predictably tough on Hilda. She is eager to retire to Schrock Lake after her dragon egg safely hatches and her new baby is old enough to live on its own.
As you may suspect, caring for baby dragons can be quite expensive. Help us welcome the new dragon to Westerville by donating to Hilda’s baby shower today. Your support will help to fund the creation of a new dragon to carry on Hilda’s legacy.
- $1,000+ - Receive a large egg trophy custom designed by the team at Otterbein University. (Staff will get in touch with you via the contact information you provide to coordinate pickup.)
- $100-$999 – Receive a mini egg trophy. (Staff will get in touch via the contact information you provide to coordinate pickup.)
- $10-$99 – Receive a baby dragon removable decal. Pick up at Welcome Desk.
Example of "baby dragon reading book" removable decal
Can I donate by cash or check?
Yes! Cash can be accepted at the Welcome Desk. Checks can be made payable to Westerville Library Foundation and either dropped off at the Welcome Desk or mailed to ATTN: Westerville Library Foundation, 126 S. State St, Westerville, OH 43081
Why should I support this project?
A donation to this project will help:
- Introduce people to the magic of their local library.
- Center the library as a place of wonder where ideas are born.
- Support project-based learning for students at Otterbein University.
- Further Westerville’s mission to enrich the daily lives of visitors and residents, increase community assets, and express a positive sense of identity and values with public art.
- Continue a beloved annual tradition by creating a more permanent, weather-resistant art piece.
Who will design and build the new dragon?
Students and staff at The Point at Otterbein University will design and build the new dragon.
What will the new dragon be made of?
The new dragon will be built from durable and long-lasting materials that are intended to withstand harsh weather.
Who is hosting this fundraiser?
This fundraiser is hosted by the Westerville Library Foundation.
Our library connects the community and serves every generation. The Westerville Library Foundation helps extend that reach today and deepen the roots for future generations. Help our library grow.
The Westerville Library Foundation is a non-profit organization comprised of volunteers whose mission is to ensure the long-term financial stability of the Westerville Public Library through endowment management and fundraising for library projects.
Tell me more about the history of Hilda.
From 2019-2022, this 30-foot, smoke-breathing dragon perched on the Westerville Public Library’s roof, keeping a watchful eye on State Street each October to celebrate the Wizards & Wands Festival, an annual signature event hosted by the library.
A Midwestern Bookwyrm, the dragon was affectionately named Hilda based on suggestions from library visitors. Designed and created by The Point at Otterbein University, Hilda is an art installation made of steel, wood, vinyl, foam, and latex. She was originally built as a temporary art installation, intended to last up to 5 years in Ohio’s climate.
The Friends of the Westerville Public Library - a volunteer organization that helps to raise money through book sales and a gift shop – eagerly sponsored the original dragon to bring attention to the Wizards & Wands Festival.
Press Coverage for Hilda the Dragon
- Beloved Hilda the Dragon guards over Westerville Public Library for the month of October | Westerville Magazine (August 27, 2022)
- Hilda the Dragon arrives at Westerville Public Library for October display | ABC6 (October 2, 2020) The library is smokin'! | The Columbus Dispatch (October 18, 2019)
- Wizards have run of Westerville library for one night | ThisWeek Westerville (October 22, 2019)
- Westerville Public Library Will Be Transformed Into A Wizarding Wonderland For Wizards & Wands Festival | The Columbus Navigator (October 2019)
- Dragon adorns top of library | The Delaware Gazette (October 19, 2019)
Praise for Hilda the Dragon
“Since before he could talk, Isaac has been in love with Hilda the Dragon. He was about 6 months old when he first saw her and she’s captured his imagination ever since. He always wants to visit her when she’s displayed and asks where she is and when she’s coming back when she’s tucked away. He has built and drawn so many iterations of her - too many to count! It’s been such a joy as his mom to see this interest blossom into a passion for building robots and drawing and inventing things of all kinds.” - Carlyn (2022)
Isaac posing with his latest Hilda in November 2022
“WPL is getting cooler every day. How much higher can the bar possibly go? Next year, a flying dragon? The year after, free flying dragon rides?” – David S, YouTube comment (2019)
“Westerville library is full of magic, wizards, dragons, and the most powerful magic handlers of all librarians! / You’re killing it with the Halloween decor!” -@postmodernpoppy, Instagram comment (2019)
“So excited to visit, and soak in the magic. Thank you for all you do to bring this event to life. And thank you, Hilda, for stopping during your migration!” - Shari H, Facebook comment (2022)
“Westerville’s Magical Midnight Madness fest uptown was SO well organized! Blown away by the immersive lit library installations, animal shows, science stations, local makers, youth music and dance performances, circus performers and all the fun extra touches. Even a smoke breathing dragon.” - Brooke, Instagram post (2022)
“We had such a wonderful morning at the Westerville Public Library exploring their Wizards & Wands exhibit!! K was in his happy place! Books, Harry Potter, & magical friends!” - Jenna, Facebook post (2022)
“We are so glad that Hilda made it safely to #Westerville! Thanks for all you do to bring such imagination to our City!” - Westerville Electric Division, Twitter reply (2019)