The Charity, Haringey Irish Cultural and Community Centre (HICCC) was founded in 1987. Charity Number: 1003015. The building is about 20,000 square feet, leased from the London Borough of Haringey. The building is spread over 4 floors, ground, first, second and third floors, and is served by a lift. It has car parking space for 140 cars.
We share our premises predominantly with the other Voluntary Care Sector (VCS) Groups with shared values. They also provide free community services that complements our own. We embrace diversity and is accessible to all minority groups across all ages. Moreover, we focus our attention on the service needs of the vulnerably and disadvantaged in our society.
· Offering free Advice & Support Services including Food Bank, Film Club
· Day Care and Luncheon Club – 3 days per week
· Haringey Irish Pensioners Group with over 500 members - accessible to all.
Providing space for VCS Groups for:
· Social education and Day Centre Services for vulnerable adults aged 18 – 65 encouraging and empowering them in becoming more active and productive.
· Supporting people with learning difficulties with activities, opportunies etc. Some of these children have autism.
· Performing Arts workshop for children and young people from 3 – 19 years old. This service supports over 400 clients where at least 30% of participants have disabilities and special needs.
· We provide class rooms for children excluded from mainstream schools providing specialist holistic support for their emotional, educational and other special needs.
Over the years, continual austerity has had a detrimental impact on welfare institutions. Ourselves included. Poorer Boroughs like Haringey has suffered most. The ambition and scope of our mission statement reflects the sentiments of a fairer and more equal society. It claims through “arts, cultural, community, sports and social services to improve the quality of life of the local community”.
We believe that community buildings are important building blocks for local and the wider population in creating cohesion, and a place where people can collaborate to build and promote a fairer and more equal society.
Community buildings, like Haringey Irish Centre, have been quietly “doing” this for years, helping to create a more civil society by encouraging individuals and groups to find help and mutual support, but also by providing facilities where groups can celebrate achievements and provide a meeting place to come to terms with disappointments.
Sadly, many of our traditional funders such as Haringey Council are not able to continue funding the Centre. This year for the first time the Local Authority has introduced charging rent and rates for community buildings.
With a full repairing lease, the introduction of rent, will impact significantly on our cashflow limiting our ability to carry out annual essential repairs and maintenance.
It is for this reason why we are looking to the business community for support. Work has begun to make the Centre more marketable but to meet our aims as a Charity and keep up with the mandatory performance indicators in running our establishment and staying sustainable, we need your help. Please donate to our cause. Also continue to support the Charity as your help is invaluable to us. To aim is raise as much money as possible to assist with maintenance and upkeep of our aging building programme.
Who would benefit from your donation – the entire community and those who use the building on a regular basis – Day Care and Luncheon Club, vulnerable Children, Pensioners etc.
Examples of our planned programme or works include:
· Central PA system including outdoors to improve the flexibility of using our grounds for bigger events.
· Improving kitchen equipment to create more flexibility of use
· Washrooms upgrade to improve disability access
· General painting and redecoration internal and external
· Air Conditioning our main hall and lounge bar etc.
Donations by Cheque to Haringey Irish Cultural & Community Centre – Maintenance or via our Website “GoFundMe” quoting HICCC Maintenance.