Sadly, last week the only vehicle the organization has was struck from behind while sitting in stopped traffic on the freeway. In the backseat sat the three children of the founder (ranging from 3yrs to teens). The back portion of the car was crushed and considered to be a totaled vehicle. Miraculously none of the children suffered any serious injuries.
The Director of the Performing Arts and Head Coach of cheerleading suffered severe back injuries as well as nerve damage to her shoulder. She was taken by ambulance to the hospital and is recovering at home with her family.
We are working hard with the insurance companies in hopes of a fast recovery. However, the at fault party's insurance company is less than proactive in helping the HHCF get back on its feet, so we are turning to you, our supporters and the community.
The HHCF is responsible for a variety of programs, where we help kids of all social and economic backgrounds (many of our kids are on scholarship paid personally out of the pocket of the founder of the HHCF). The vehicle that was totaled was used to transport supplies, pick up students who could not afford to travel to the camps/classes/afterschool and weekend programs, pick up lunches and other needs of the students we serve. It is also key in providing transportation for program teachers and volunteers. The HHCF will be forced to cancel many of its programs until the organizations main source of transportation and training supplies damaged in the accident are replaced. This will leave countless children with no supervised care and education, while parents are hard at work.
How can you help?
- The HHCF needs a vehicle that can seat no less than 6 people at a time. We believe we can purchase a low price, used vehicle for roughly $9,000 if we chose a low end, high mileage used car. We are no looking for luxury. Just safety that can get our teachers, students and sometimes parents to and from the training facility. A vehicle that will have room to transport all the supplies we need for teaching as well.
- 3 HHCF Computers were destroyed in the accident. All computers were used as part of our Chess Lessons, Performing Arts, Entrepreneurship Youth Programs. These laptops and the programs on them value is between $528-$988 each. Our dream is to get all three replaced but would be elated is we could replace at least 1 of the computers to keep the programs running.
- Chess pieces. Large bags of chess pieces were broken up in the crash. These pieces were enough to cover at least 5 chess boards.
- Teacher replacement: Due to the accident our lead Camp Director and Performing Arts Choreographer has been injured to the degree of being unable to teach all of her assigned programs. The HHCF must recruit/hire a replacement/assistant Teacher to take over some of the roles our Director can no longer fill. If we are lucky we will be able to find a volunteer to fill this role, but if we must hire someone during her recovery we will need at least $3,200 (this will cover the expense of the teacher/coach over the 6-12 weeks we have been told our Director needs to recover).
We are a IRS recognized 501(c)3, any donation you make is tax deductible. If you own a Car Dealership or Manufacturer and you donate the car to the HHCF, you can write this off on your 2012 taxes. Anything you give will allow the HHCF to fulfill its obligations to the community we serve.
Please understand our goal is to secure these items before we are forced to cancel another day of programs. Every day we do not have these items is another day we must call and tell all our families we serve that they will have to seek other resources for their children.
Please share this will all our friends, family, local business, politicians, anyone whom you believe can help the HHCF fulfill its duties. We have never failed our families before and we will do what ever it takes to continue to help our children have a safe and happy place to go while their parents are hard at work.
We appreciate your kindness in these hard times.
- Gave away $2500 in educational scholarships
- Hosted over 158 youth using our financial aide program for camps, after school programs and weekend programs
- Cheer & Dance Team won 4 National/International & 1 Division Championship
- Senior HHCF students graduated High School
- Donated 3 laptop computers, 2 video cameras and multiple chess sets to students and schools in need