COVID 19 Resources
Hey there!! We're Third Charm Films — A one-of-its kind collective of teen filmmakers, actors, writers, and activists turning low-budget art into powerful cinematic storytelling. We're based in Seattle, Washington. We intend to create media that’s authentic and empowers underrepresented storytellers for generations to come.
Hetero is now in post-production. We need your help to cover these costs, otherwise Hetero may take far longer to make it to your screens. Our goal is to raise an additional $3,400 to cover these following costs:
1. Assembling the soundtrack. (song royalties, additional music, professional mixing). $1750.
2. Additional storage (hard drives and cloud storage for remote editing). $450.
3. Film festival submission fees. $550.
4. Publicity, social media, and website costs. $350.
5. Northwest Film Forum gets 7% of the funds raised (they're our fiscal sponsor), and there's a hidden GoFundMe service fee. ~$300.
ABOUT HETERO — Five misfit friends scramble to save their school’s Gay Straight Alliance from an unsympathetic principal. This fast-paced, witty story captures the funny, tender, and intimate moments between friends as they face all the highs and lows of being queer in high school.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! — We are so grateful for your support! The story of Hetero needs to be told now more than ever. This story holds deep value to every single scrappy kid involved in creating it. We won’t let your money go to waste. We provided updates on the production and behind the scenes throughout production, and will continue to do so in the coming months!
We hope to pitch the series to well-known distribution services and enter the festival circuit once post-production has finished in 2021. We will keep you updated!
MORE INFO FROM OUR JULY-AUGUST FUNDRAISER :
We have been in pre-production for our first miniseries, Hetero, for 9 months. The script itself was written over a two year period. The crew was assembled in early 2020, and casting began in March. Due to COVID-related complications, we have held online meetings, rehearsals, and gay movie nights for the past three months. Our team is prepping for a socially distanced, safe, and sanitized filming experience. We are ready to enter production!
The series is composed of five twenty-minute episodes. Production is planned from July 6 - August 18. We have 27 shooting days. Our cast and crew will be taking LOTS OF PRECAUTIONS! Contact-less temperature monitoring each day, testing for COVID-19, masks worn by everyone, hand sanitizer all around, and well-ventilated locations are a few examples.
FUNDRAISING (SUMMER 2020)
We originally planned to launch our fundraiser at the beginning of Pride Month, but in the wake of Black Lives Matter Protests, we knew the money was needed elsewhere. We pushed back the fundraising date to June 25th, as late as possible, as the need to feed and transport ourselves necessitates us launching now. More importantly, the values and representation this show provides, especially of the Black, femme, and trans voices which we have seen face special vulnerability in this past month, aligns with what we see need for in the world. We acknowledge the need for a story which prioritizes queer joy as the upmost necessity.
We are as indie as it gets! We have ZERO money! All donations will directly benefit the production costs of the project. Nobody is being paid. We are asking for funds in the two weeks prior to production so we have the resources we need to sustain filming.
BUDGET (SUMMER 2020)
1) Craft services and meals. Feeding a cast and crew every day really adds up. It is mandatory we provide snacks at all times and a meal per each 6 hours of filming. $50/week for snacks = $250. $100/day for meals = $2,600.
2) Production insurance. People can get injured or unexpected disturbances can happen or things could catch fire. You never know! Our insurance covers up to $1 million. $70/month = $140.
3) Transportation. Mostly ferry costs! Cast and crew travel to Bainbridge Island for filming. One person traveling by car is $32 round trip. This adds up A LOT! We cannot cover the total costs but we are budgeting $1,500.
4) Stuff To Keep Us Safe! Masks, sanitizer, Clorox, Lysol. Most crew have their own supplies already but we are budgeting $100 as well.
5) Additional Props/Costumes. We are sourcing everything locally but there are a few items we haven't found! $150 to order these online.
6) Gear/Accessories. Hard drives, SD cards, and plugins for post-production. $150. Update after weeks 1 & 2: running out of storage! Increased to $450. Additional post-production: $100.
7) Hidden fees. Northwest Film Forum gets 7% of the funds raised. $575. The hidden GoFundMe service fee: around $150.
8) COVID-19 testing (and expediting), additional travel/ferry costs needed after evaluating production progress after weeks 1 & 2. $1600.
9) Additional Days of Filming. $450.
10) Publicity, Social Media Promotion, Website Costs. $475.
(These totaled $8540. We raised $8,500 over the course of production.)