WE ARE RAISING FUNDS FOR A SERVICE DOG FOR HUNTER!!!!! Yep, it's expensive ( 17-20k) .
A little bit about Hunter,...... he is hilarious, fun, is half fish and a part time ninja/escape artist, and if given the oportunity would eat his weight in chocolate. I wish everyone knew the Hunter that I know , because he is so awesome!
Hunter also has severe non-verbal autsim.
Here are the reasons ( backed up by compelling research and real life examples ) of why a service dog can save him from isolation, vulnerability , and danger.
1. He needs a friend . A dog is a boy's greatest friend, right? The hard to admit truth is , my kid doesn't have a friend ( no party invites, no one to hang out with, he's never even recieved a phone call from a friend) . It's super difficult for him to make friends because he can't communicate effectively. Many times autism means watching from the sidelines while the other kids play. Service dogs provide companionship but also make people with disabilities more approachable and able to participate.
2. He needs independence. What 14 year old boy wants thier Mom around 24-7? One day I hope that H will be able to achieve some of his dreams of independence , like getting a job ( a service dog can greatly help here).
3. He needs safety. He does things like run into traffic, jumps into freezing deep water, or tries to walk to the park at 3 am ...alone. It's enough to make a parent crazy with worry. He also needs a protector.
4. Hunter is a self harmer, which means that when he gets upset ( inablility to communicate your feelings and needs can do that in addition to sensory stuff) he puches himself in the face, scratches his skin until he bleeds, or worse. Service animals are trained to intervene and calm him , when he can't calm himself.
5. He needs acceptance.
6. He needs you! Please consider donating and sharing!
- ROGER DOLAN
- Christina Belcher
- Jennessa Woodcock
- Lori Evans
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more