Henry's Vet Fund

Last week, Henry didn't come downstairs for his dinner, and when we went to find him, he wasn't himself - and he wouldn't eat.  A trip to the vet, an examination, and x-rays failed to turn up anything obviously amiss.  After receiving fluids and a blood draw, we brought him home.  The following day he seemed better, but still refused to eat, and deteriorated in the evening.  The next morning he went back to the vet, and spent the day received more fluids, and had his colon cleaned out.  The vet was "cautiously optimistic," and prescribed a medication to reduce inflammation in his gut, in the hopes of getting him back on a path to eating.

The following morning, he vomited violently upon taking his medication, and I rushed him back to the vet.  They referred me to the animal hospital's emergency department.  They admitted him, performed an ultrasound, brought in the on-call surgeon and performed surgery.

The surgeon did not find any obstruction, but did find sections of abnormality in his small intestine.  It does not currently appear to be cancer, but we are waiting on the biopsy results.

The current course of action now, is to try to get him eating and drinking while they determine what has caused the intestinal issues, and what set off the anorexia.  It is not yet clear how long he will need to be hospitalized.

At this point, we have already paid $5,500, all on credit.   I am less than a month into a new job after a period of extended unemployment, and my husband is still out of work.  I have maxed out the credit that CareCredit will extend, as well as my credit card, and we are still $3,200 under the top end of the hospital's estimate - and that estimate was only for the initial admission, ultrasound, and surgery.  It does not address whatever will be necessary to determine what the issue is now that it is clear that it isn't an obstruction.

He's "only" a cat, but he's part of our family.  I love my Henry.  Our second cat is distraught.  My daughter asked me today if Henry is ever going to come home.  We're heartbroken.

If you have anything to spare towards his vet bills, it would mean the world to us.  He's not yet five years old.  I don't want to cut that short simply because this happened when we're in a place where we don't have the money at our fingertips.  I expect that there will probably be a new deposit required tomorrow.

Please help us to help him.

Donations (56)

See top
  • Reidan Fredstrom
    • $20 
    • 6 yrs
  • Anne Akin
    • $100 
    • 6 yrs
  • Elizabeth McMahon
    • $25 
    • 6 yrs
  • Jane Brezzo
    • $25 
    • 6 yrs
  • Mali Lim
    • $100 
    • 6 yrs
See all


Eloise Coulter
Burlington, CT

Your easy, powerful, and trusted home for help

  • Easy

    Donate quickly and easily.

  • Powerful

    Send help right to the people and causes you care about.

  • Trusted

    Your donation is protected by the  GoFundMe Giving Guarantee.