Our search for Juan is powered by family and friends - we are all working 24/7 to stay on top of leads that are calling in and continuously driving and walking around Los Angeles to flyer. Many of us have stopped working or taken unpaid leave from jobs to support one another in the search for Juan. We are asking volunteers to bring their own flyers/supplies or paying for thousands of flyers to be printed ourselves. We are asking for help in offsetting the accumulating costs of continuing to search for Juan.
If you have any information about Juan or believe you may have seen him, please call his mother, Yajaira Hernandez at [phone redacted].
On Tuesday September 22nd, Juan Carlos "Cookie" Hernandez left his home in the West Adams community of Los Angeles, and headed to work for an evening shift at his job near West 82nd Street and Western Avenue. At 10:00pm Juan's shifted ended and he was seen exiting his job. Since Tuesday night, we have been unable to get in contact with or find Juan.
Juan's car was found near Figueroa Street and West 64th Street on Thursday September 24th at around 3am. Onlookers described the car as being on for several hours without anyone inside.
Juan was a responsible young man, who participated in the college preparation program, Neighborhood Academic Initiative, and ran several marathons with the Los Angeles running group, Rundalay. We hope to reunite with Juan soon, in time for this 22nd birthday on October 15th.
We appreciate any and all help to find Juan.
Ways You Can Help
1. Donate to this GoFundMe
- Funds will be used to: print flyers, order large signs, cover gas for family searching throughout LA, purchase tape and staplers to continue flyering, and provide the family with financial support as many have taken unpaid days off to continue search efforts 24/7.
2. Keep sharing Juan's story through social media
- Follow Juan's mom, Yajaira, on Instagram to get updates: prinzess yaya
- Follow Juan's brother, Joseph, on Instagram to get updates: josephgh212
- Follow Juan's aunt, Stephanie, to get updates: nena 2388
3. Call/email Los Angeles political/community leaders to help the Hernandez family secure local resources to continue searching for Juan!
- Use this PDF for email and phone scripts to contact local representatives so we can get more support to find Juan
4. Flyer with us in Los Angeles! - You can get the latest updates on where our search efforts are focused on the "#HelpMeFindJuan - ORGANIZING GROUP" Facebook Group
5. Sponsor a meal for the family! - If you would like to sponsor a meal for the family or provide a home-cooked dinner. Please text Victoria Martinez at [phone redacted] to coordinate a day. Victoria can pick up from Los Angeles/Orange County and deliver the meal to the family.
6. Donate flyers! - If you have access to free printing, please connect with Victoria Martinez at [phone redacted] to coordinate pick up of flyers. Victoria can pick up from Los Angeles/Orange County and deliver flyers/tape to the family.
We are thankful the media has helped spread the word about Juan's disappearance and ensure more of the public is looking out for him.
ABC 7 News: Family of missing South LA man desperate for answers after 21 year olds car found still running
KTLA 5 News: He couldn’t just have disappeared South LA mom pleads for return of missing 21 year old son
Fox 11 News: Family seeks help finding missing 21 year old South Los Angeles man LAPD says
Patch: Family Seeks Help Finding Missing 21 Year Old Man In South LA
- Jillian Wallis
- Mira Barnum
- Norma Edwards
- Jennifer Yano
Fundraising team: #HelpMeFindJuan (2)
#1 fundraising platform
More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more
In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more
Expert advice, 24/7
Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more