Help for Homie - Surgery Needed

Short story:
My little Homie is in a lot of pain and to the point where surgery is his only option for recovery.

Long Story:
Just over three weeks ago on Sunday May 14 Homie started experiencing what seemed like pretty severe pain. He couldn't move or walk without yelping and screaming in pain and I couldn't touch or lift him. First thing Monday morning I took him into the vet to get checked out. After the xray the vet said he had Intervertebral disk disease (IVDD) and that untreated it could get worse and lead to paralysis.


The treatment plan for Homie was a course of pain meds, steroids and doggy bed rest for a few weeks. The vet warned that if we couldn't get his situation improved with medication and rest then surgery might be our only option. 



Over the next few weeks he would seemingly get better and then all of a sudden get worse. Finally on June 1 I called my vet to see if there was anything more we could do for Homie because he seemed to be in more pain than when this all started. It was at that time the vet recommended that I take him to see a neurologist since the meds and rest treatment was not helping.

To see Homie in so miserably in pain and not be able to help him or even cuddle him without causing more pain was heartbreaking.



Friday morning, June 2, I woke up and carried Homie in his crate out to go potty and when he tried to get out of his crate he struggled because his back legs had started to weaken. I panicked and called the neurologist right away. The soonest he could get an appointment was Tuesday the 6. They told me as long as his back end wasn't completely down I could wait until Tuesday to bring him in. If he went down completely I would have to take him to the emergency vet. We made it through the weekend but he was in so much pain he wouldn't even turn his head.

Tuesday morning, June 6, I took him to see the neurologist and he confirmed that surgery is the needed treatment. He is a good candidate for the surgery and has a good chance of recovery with it. His legs are weak but he can still wag his tail, he can still go potty unassisted and he still has some feeling in his little toes.


The Reason We Need Help:
The cost of treatment is estimated at $2000 for the MRI and around $4000 for the actual surgery and related care and meds. This is why I am asking for help. I don't have the money to pay for his surgery. I currently am not able to take on debt to pay for surgery and I can't wait too long to get it figured out. Every day that passes without surgery his condition could worsen, making surgery less and less effective.

We added another pain medication to his current treatment to help keep him comfortable in the meantime but I don't know how long I can keep him waiting for relief. I feel so bad having to ask friends, family and strangers for help but the thought of losing Homie or having to put him down when he still has so much life left in him is unbearable.

It would mean the world to me to have help, any help, to help my Homie.

Donations

 See top
  • Katrina Iannuzzi 
    • $10 
    • 44 mos
  • S Y 
    • $100 
    • 44 mos
  • Caitlin Weirich  
    • $20 
    • 44 mos
  • Anonymous 
    • $50 
    • 44 mos
  • Shannon Kochenour 
    • $50 
    • 44 mos
See all

Organizer

Amy Constantineau 
Organizer
Spanaway, WA
  • #1 fundraising platform

    More people start fundraisers on GoFundMe than on any other platform. Learn more

  • GoFundMe Guarantee

    In the rare case something isn’t right, we will work with you to determine if misuse occurred. Learn more

  • Expert advice, 24/7

    Contact us with your questions and we’ll answer, day or night. Learn more