WHO ARE WE?
The Henderson Heritage Group is a group of people who lived or worked at the now closed Henderson Hospital Democratic Therapeutic Community. We have come together to preserve and develop the archive, memory and culture of the Henderson. The Henderson saved many lives and we wish to enable future generations to learn from one of the most effective and famous therapeutic communities in history.
The group has formed The Henderson Heritage Foundation which is currently applying for constituted charitable status, which will enable us to fundraise and apply for charitable grants for our work. In the meantime The Henderson Heritage Group is an unincorporated, non-profit organisation involved in numerous activities and we are now fundraising in order to support our work.
WHAT ARE WE DOING?
· Making regular visits to the Henderson Collection, currently housed at MB3 in Gloucestershire, to continue the work of cataloguing the Collection and making it accessible to archivists and researchers
· ‘Experiences in Communities’: an oral history project gathering spoken and written testimony from those who lived and worked at the Henderson and its sister communities at Main House in Birmingham and Webb House in Crewe
· Maintaining a social media profile and presence and making activist interventions in public debate around the contested diagnosis of ‘personality disorder’
· Presenting the work of The Henderson Heritage Group at conferences and other events where the democratic therapeutic community approach can reach a wider public audience
HOW WILL YOUR DONATIONS HELP?
· Provide travel and accommodation bursaries for those who lived at the Henderson who would like to attend the 75th anniversary celebration event but who cannot afford to
· Help develop other events and publicity initiatives through the 75th anniversary year
· Help support the ongoing administrative costs of the Henderson Heritage Group
· Support the costs of venue hire and catering for the central events celebrating 75 years of the work and legacy of the Henderson Democratic Therapeutic Communities
Thank you so much for anything you can give!