Atheist Republic has been the target of many legal attacks by Hindutva members ever since Atheist Republic’s founder - Armin Navabi - tweeted a blasphemous illustration of the Hindu Goddess Kali. Atheist Republic is not taking this judicial and virtual harassment lying down and has retained legal counsel to help us defend our access to our community in India.
This fundraiser will help us afford to tackle the following issues:
- Challenging FIRs, evaluating and addressing numerous complaints that have been filed against our organization and our leadership as individuals
- Keeping up-to-date on the case to be heard in the Supreme Court of India that explicitly involves our blasphemous content
- Our website being blocked on many ISPs based upon order by the Indian Telecommunication Ministry
- Our Facebook page being blocked to every user in India due to orders by the Indian government
- Navabi’s personal Facebook page being blocked to all users in India due to orders by the Indian government
- Fighting to prevent future bans to our websites
- Anything else that our lawyers would recommend that would help challenge blasphemy laws and religion-based discrimination in India.
Whatever you can contribute will go a long way in helping us maintain access to our largest community of atheists in Asia, as well as fight against the censorship of blasphemy.